Organizing animations efficient

My first steps creating dynamic “effects” for example to let objects appear for illustration/demonstration purpose ends up in an acceptable result i think (Sorry i am not allowed to upload anything yet)
In my case i let appear a table somewhere over a ground with a slight rotation and let them fall on the ground. Nothing with phyics, only used curves in the curve editior in the animation section.

My problem: The amount of animated properties getting very high soon. As soon as i decide to change something regarding the original model (in my case for example shorten the table legs) . All the animation stuff is basically not valid anymore since the absolute position of my model changed …

My question: Is there a way in blender to “manage” this smarter? Some kind of “relative animation” without depending on absolute x,y,z values? I mean … make a real complex animation stuff, 20 or 30 params included and the later change the base model slightly will end up in the same effort as you haven’t done it yet.
In my example it would be cool, no matter how long the table legs are in the end, the table always will hit the ground and not hover a half meter above just cause i shortened the legs

Another question: Is it possible to “group” this work anyhow when its done once? I mean if i create a “appearing effect” which includes some rotation and scaling and x,y,z movement of the object … i copy it over and over to all the other objects i want to have this effects too … but what if i change for example the initital rotation afterwards and i want this to have for all objects having this effect?.. do i have to do the work over and over again also for the other models or is it possible that they “share” an animation stack that i can edit in a more centralized way?

Best regards

Some software have procedural animation capabilities, such as Houdini, but Blender is a bit limited in that regard. Some adjustments can be done with the NLA (see second paragraph), whereas some others would have to be built into the rig, for example with a parent bone that you’d place a little lower to compensate for the table’s shorter legs, or with a driver or constraint taking care of extending the legs to wherever you decide the floor is, that kind of stuff.
But really that would be a case by case thing.

For your second question yes you can just re-use actions between several objects but the channels (bone names as well as other custom properties) have to match. If you want to have a base animation but layer on some variations on specific characters/objects you can use the NLA editor, but it’s kinda fiddly : you can’t animate directly on top of an already animated object, you’ll have to create a separate action with the variations you want, and then add it as a strip in the NLA, on top of your “base” action strip.

2 Likes

Something like shortening table legs can be easily changed by using a delta transform key frame. Assuming that you just want to lower your object simply create a delta transform key frame on location Z and your done. Sometimes that will work.

2 Likes