Origin, Pivot, Cursor etc.....

Hi Guys !

Would anyone advice any tutorial reg. Origin, Pivot point and Cursor - and their relations.
I just dont get it. Until I rotate, scale in (and relative to) default(World) ortho X,Y,Z -

• its more/less OK, but any ‘deviation’ ejects me into deeper space…8-(
    In any CAD-style soft I had sc. World Coordinate System and its Origin 0,0,0, any change to it (by eg. indicating 3-points on some object) translates(moves) that- thus creates User Coordinate System etc etc.
    In Blender I JUST DONT GET IT -each and every one separately. When-how what for (Object Mode/Edit Mode, Translation, Ctrl+Shift+Alt+C/ Shift+S ?!
    Help, please…

the little yellow ball at the center of your object is the origin. you can center it to your object mass from the tool shelf. the pivot point is defined by the user, and there are multiple options, one of which is the 3D cursor. the global coordinate system is based on the grid. if your pivot poit is set to global, your object will be rotating around the center of the grid, so the default cube should rotate fine in that mode, being as it is at the center of the grid. until you move it, at which point you may wish to set pivot point to " individual object centers’ or one of the other options.

Kernon Dillon’s Pivot Power video tutorial might help. It’s for an older version of Blender so the interface looks different, but the same principles still apply.

Thanx for the hints. One SMALL THING Id need is: to MOVE/TRANSLATE & ALIGN THE ORIGIN - its X,Y(surface),Z(space) to WHAT I WANT AT THE MOMENT I WANT THEN TRANSLATE MY OBJECT(S) PER NEWLY CREATED ORIGIN.
Am I demanding too much ??

set your pivot point to median then it will move it using the center of your object!

salutations

I got set of roof beams tilted ca.30 deg. to the plan(x,y). I need to construct other objects on THEIR surface(plan). And yes-lets assume I have to do this graphically (no number readout&input) - snappin/manipulation cursor/pivot/origin whatever it calls in Blender ?

Perhaps you should create new transformation orientations.

First select your object, change the tranfsormation orientations to local. Now the arrows should point in the right directions to construct other objects. To save this orientation, hit “N” and scroll down. The last menu item is namend “transformation orientations” click on the small “+” next to the drop down menu where “Local” should be selected. After that you could name your new transformation orientation in the Mesh Tools Menu (hit “T” and scroll down). You could then choose this new orientation in the same way you change between local, global or normal orientation.

Hope that is, what you are looking for.

best regards,
Martin

Thanx-it works +/-. I would comment on: ‘First select an Object’…-I need to select a FACE(in Edit Mode) then it works(tripod moves to that objects) but not excactly in the manner it could - ie. i cant influence alignment of tripod’s axes, MMB does not lock accordingly, still stays in World X,Y,Z.

http://www.pasteall.org/pic/28873

I d like to construct referring to highlighted (sur)face.

I like to add a plane and move the origin to a corner. Then using vertex snapping it can be precisely moved to, and rotated to any other face on any other object and its local transform orientation can be saved.

Then move it off to the side or to an unused layer and reuse it when necessary.

bluecd, ok, then select the Face, change to “normal” and create your new transform orientations. If you want to move something on your new axes but without dragging the arrows, hit g > x > x or g > y > y or g > z > z

Martin

Thx, Martin. Double click x/y/z suits me best (its auto-alignment to an object?).

got hard time w/Pivot…
Have to Mod.Mirror second object but per Pivot from Origin (first object). After selecting second object my Pivot becomes center of second object - any chance to set Pivot how I want ??

Think I solved that using EMPTY but… Does one really need to multiply objects(even Empty ones) in the scene ?!
Seems Origin/Pivot should do that job ??