OSL Just for CPU ?

will it ever be also gpu enabled ?

thanx!

Currently CPU only. The future is a long time so maybe at some point.

And the future of OSL isn’t depending on blender alone. It’s being developed by Sony Picture Imageworks and I’d say mainly for Arnold which runs on CPU only. So it would be quite a lot of work to get it to work on GPU and it would mean a new OSL branch which wouldn’t be compatible with other render engines using it. And that’s one of the benefits of using OSL.

If it were ever to run on the GPU it wouldn’t really be incompatible with a CPU only version, it would just compile the OSL language to a different target and run it there.

Though I’d say GPUs will support x86 instructions long before OSL supports GPUs.

Really annoying as I can no longer find the article… but didn’t amd or nvidia create a graphics card that had an embedded omap chip (A9 i think)?

I cant remember why it had it, perhaps as nothing more than a logic/pipeline co-processor but it struck me at the time that if it had the omap chip then in a way the graphics card had become a computer in its own right.

That said, I may have made it all up (including doing the web search and reading the layout design) during one of my highly lucid/vivid dreams I get based on some obscure thought as I fall asleep :-/

Though I’d say GPUs will support x86 instructions long before OSL supports GPUs.

Since the official OSL implementation uses LLVM, it could also target other architectures like the experimental GPU-based backends. OSL could also be translated to OpenCL, which is what I assume Spectral Studio does.