other language forums

(Timothy) #1

Hey,

For the dutch and french forums, it was easy for me to decide on weather or not to add the forum. And who would be the moderator.

Over the past weeks a few requests have been made for more forums specificly aimed for the languages:

• German
  • Swedish
  • Spanish

So my questions to you (if you speak one of these languages) are:

1. Do you think, many people would use the forum
  2. How should be the moderator of the group, thus a active person in the community speaking that language, who is capable of taking on the job to both moderate a forum, and moderate the users group (people with access to the forum).

Greets,
Timothy

(Eric) #2

1. Do you think, many people would use the forum
About the sweidish one, there are quite many swedes on this forum, thought I don’t know how many there is who would like a swedish forum. But I can say that I’m willing to help or talk to other swedes in there, speaking of myself that is.

2. How should be the moderator of the group, thus a active person in the community speaking that language, who is capable of taking on the job to both moderate a forum, and moderate the users group (people with access to the forum).
I think there are several willing to make that job, not including me thought.

(tordat) #3

In one topic (weekend challenge ???) some asked for the critical mass to make a special languages user forum.
Taking the poll of “What’s your primary language” into account, the number of active users is below ten for others than english. The Dutch user forum has been quite quiet, lately. The French one maybe will be after the first rush.

What about allowing questions and topics in different languages in the regular form until there is a substantial amount that would warrant a special languages forum.
Ok, I see the problem of moderating this, but because it’s all public it should be a kind of self moderating.

I think what’s more important at present is an introduction to elYsiun in different languages, the FAQ’s in different languages, not to deter all the visitors that want to participate but dare to do because of their english.

(kino) #4

hi
i think an italian forum can really help and wake up
the interest in Blender, and you know,
ther’s a good moderator for it :slight_smile:
Here in italy ther’s no a blender community :x

my proposal for S68 8)

Kino

(S68) #5

Hi!

I’m on vacation with a 9.6k modem GULP didn’t know they still existed :frowning: :frowning:

The one speaking of a critical mass was me, and the answer from theeth was excellent (quoting: “It depends on how much time you spend speacking to the same people with your same language”)

I’m generally not fond of I18N forums because people tend to form sub-groups and tends to form sub-cultures with lesser excange of ideas and knowledge. A single forum in a language spoken and understood fairly well from all of us leads, IMHO, to a healthier and more active community.

Nevertheless, regional forums on a SINGLE site like this takes away almost all inconveniences, since you, in any case, log in to a single master site, rather than accessing forums scattered over the internet, so some more localized forums should be good, expecially to attract new people to Blender, people who don’t feel confident with their english but can contribute with their enthusiasm.

So I do sponsor the idea of more regional forums, and I’m glad to hear that Kino, whose web site is much interesting (visit it!) wishes an italian forum here!

Stefano

(theeth) #6

mwhahahahaha, who’s laughing now!! (/me is on a 33.6K) :wink:

The one speaking of a critical mass was me, and the answer from theeth was excellent (quoting: “It depends on how much time you spend speacking to the same people with your same language”)

well, thank you. That reply was very spontanuous, and I was afraid it might sound bad…

Nevertheless, regional forums on a SINGLE site like this takes away almost all inconveniences, since you, in any case, log in to a single master site, rather than accessing forums scattered over the internet, so some more localized forums should be good, expecially to attract new people to Blender, people who don’t feel confident with their english but can contribute with their enthusiasm.

that’s exactly what I was thinking. There are a lot of scatterred community (the french community has like 5 forums, the spanish community with Caronte’s site, etc). Personnaly, I have nothing against those other site, but like in many other things, being united is what makes us stronger, whether it be here or on the Blender3d.com site.

Martin

(joecool) #7

9.6k? Man, I didn’t know they EVER existed. haha

(S68) #8

I had a 2.4k baud modem, when younger… and you could also select its speed down to 300 baud, for bad connections… that were great times, when screens where character only and a BBS with color codes for characters was super-lux :slight_smile:

Stefano