Other objects/collections not rendering

I currently have two Collections in my scene; both are enabled; and both are visible. However, when I press F12 to render, only one collection is rendering out and the other isn’t. Also, my background image isn’t showing either.

Have you got the ‘rendering’ icon active in the filter section of the outliner. The collection may be active and visible, but visiblity is related to viewport, not render. So one can render but not see something in the viewport, or, conversely, see it in the viewport but not render it.

1 Like

Aha, that was indeed the reason. Bit unfortunate that Blender 2.8 doesn’t show the Render/Camera icon by default like older versions. I had to switch that filter on. The other issue now is getting my background image to show…

Is there any way of enabling it for multiple objects in the Outliner at once?

The way I tend to do that is, click and hold the mouse on one, the ndrag down and it sets the flag on all I sweep over.

1 Like

Cool. Didn’t know you could do that. Thanks.

I’ve got a similar problem in Blender 2.83, but the solution here doesn’t work. I’ve encounterd this issue prior and figured it out previously, but like an idiot, I didn’t write down the solution and forgot it. All I remember was it was a very frustrating investigation and illogical solution.

I have two collections, one will render, one will not and all the render settings for both collections are identical. In fact, I started with one collection (that does render)…duplicated the collection and the duplicated collection will NOT render (with same render setting on the collection). Something is happening to the collection data that is keeping it from rendering. Its something very obscure…maybe render layers…slots, camera settings maybe? etc. What else can keep a collection from rendering besides the “restriction toggle” settings?

Screen Shot 2021-11-13 at 8.11.42 AM

Figured it out again. It was due to the “view layers pulldown”. I had multiple view layers. “1 Render Layer” and “View Layer”. I don’t use the view layers much as my usage of Blender is quite narrow and simplified, so unsure how I ended up with two view layers.

I can’t say how I might have toggled between the two view layers such that I was setting the collection visibilities differently for each view layer and not catching it. Deleting view layers such that I only had one view layer with one set of settings for the collections was the obvious solution.

I can’t speak as to why the ‘1RenderLayer’ view was the one getting rendered (F12) and not the ‘View Layer’’ view layer (which was the one active at the time), though I’m sure an expert in scene/view management could. It probably had something to do with this dialog.

Screen Shot 2021-11-13 at 8.39.15 AM