Outliner, objects and the "wrench" icon

Hi, i’ve been blending a lot during the last few weeks and made several models so far.
However, on the last model I made I see that everytime I created a shape, it made a new object in the outliner. In the previous models I made, the object would just merge into active object and become one. I suspect that is because of the “wrench” icon i see in the outliner, but I’ve scoured the internet without finding a single mention of a wrench icon.

So, I’ve made my model now and need to be able to slelect every vertex (pressing A) on my model, but everything is in different objects and I have no idea what to do about it. I’ve been trying stuff out patently for ours, but I’m losing my mind over this. Hope someone can explain how this works.

So, to recap

1. what decides whether generating a new shape makes a new object or not? If it’s the wrench, how to toggle this? Nothing happens when I click it.
  2. How do I merge all objects into one so that I can UV-map my model?

Thanks a lot in advance :slight_smile:

1. what decides whether generating a new shape makes a new object or not? If it’s the wrench, how to toggle this? Nothing happens when I click it.
    If you are in Object mode the added mesh will be a new object
    If you are in Edit mode the new mesh will be party of the currently edited mesh
    The spanner icon has nothing to do with this. The icon in the outliner indicates the object has a modifier applied to it

1. How do I merge all objects into one so that I can UV-map my model?
    You can join selected objects with Ctrl+J

Ok, that is enlightening. Thank you so much for your quick reply!