Outliner related questions

Hello,

Would appreciate some help getting around outliner (relating to maya)

• selecting an object in scene is reflected in outliner by a tiny circle that is very, very hard to spot when you have many meshes. Can i do anything about it to make it more visible / practical. I fail to detect corresponding theme setting.
  • what is the purpose of multiline selection when clicked in empty area of a particular line. Why cannot a “blue” line represent actual selection instead of tiny circle? What can i do with the selection?
  • I suppose Groups are not displayed similar to maya in hierarchy? How can i create Hierarchy like foldable structures in outliner to keep my scene organized and easy to traverse (OTHER than parenting)
    Thank you

• what is the purpose of multiline selection when clicked in empty area of a particular line. What can i do with the selection?
    RMB for some options

Groups are shown when you change the outliner display to Groups

How can i create Hierarchy like foldable structures in outliner
Parent to an empty or add objects to groups

Thank You Richard,

• Great tip about RMB, can’t believe i missed it :slight_smile:

• I somewhat got around the first problem of highlighting selected with theme setting “text” vs “text highlight”(under outliner). As I used some downloaded theme it had both selected/unselected with same white color making selecting hard to see. - problem solved!

• I was aware of the GROUP display mode however it still does not display information as id like. I even tried to group every item in the scene into main and then group once more to have a group within a group and it being displayed as such in outliner - apparently that is not possible?

My goal is to organize scene. For exampe if one object has 30 components and you have 50 objects making an animation scene, you need to be able to traverse through things fast and hide the unwanted clutter. Layers seem to remedy that problem somewhat but in mayas, even maxes case you could simply have a very tidy hierarchy in outliner: http://suholivia.files.wordpress.com/2013/04/head_prt3-2.jpg

So my question remains - how can i best organize scene for animation (and preferably have foldable structures for display). How would a Blender expert approach animating a bigger scene and having no trouble what so ever traversing the scene/instantly locating and working on any part of the data?

Thank You

Looks like expert users use linked objects, linked groups or even linked scenes.
I’m 2 months new to blender (be aware lol), I used linked and appended groups a couple of times but every time you want to tweak the linked stuff you need to go to original file.
Never used Maya but I fell exactly what you missing because I could really make use of hierarchy folders or groups on the outliner, just like the layer tab on photoshop.
Btw: one simple detail - when having a group it could be nice if you could just select the group by 1 mouse click insted of shift+g + click. If you don’t mind asking here in your topic: is there any option to temporary “lock” group objects together?