Outliner scrolling?

This feels like a dumb question… but, are there any add-ons for auto-scroll on the outlier? I have a collection with many objects, and then a sub-collection within that. I can’t just grab that sub-collection and move it lower in the list, because there is no auto-scroll on the outliner.

It’s getting to be a real hassle to keep having to reorganize things piece wise, moving something up the list just to be able to move down the list…

1 Like

Not dumb at all…
This is a long time request of mine as well, but unfortunately it didn’t happen (yet?)…

1 Like

Thanks, I needed that emotional support. I just figured out I can scroll middle mouse to do it, but it is EXTREMELY awkward to me to hold left mouse and scroll middle mouse at the same time.

My outliner looks exactly like your gif lol. This seems like such a silly oversight. I know damn well “Spring” had more than a handful of objects in those scenes lol

1 Like

Yes auto scrolling could be useful but also can be hard to control when there is only a narrow slot to scroll in and it speeds out of control.

1 Like

An alternative technique…

• click on the item and hold down the LMB,
  • with another finger, scroll the mouse wheel.

It’s the manual version of auto-scroll. :wink:

1 Like

Lol, I had just posted that I had just discovered that. Thank you for typing it out like that though, for any future wayward souls that stumble across this post. It is VERY awkward to use my middle finger to scroll though haha.

1 Like

Why not using the shortcut M for sorting your objects in collections? It’s much quicker than via dragging.

As a 3ds max user I can confirm that auto-scroll in the outliner is horrible to work with. This is the first thing I disable.

2 Likes

I actually honestly wasn’t aware that M did anything. I guess I had just assumed that since it wasn’t using the <2.8 layer system that M would’ve been mapped to something else. This is really handy, thanks for the heads up!

That said, I still think that Outliner Scrolling should still be a thing even with middle-mouse scroll and “M” just because there’s not real good reason for it not to be default.

Thanks for the help, friends.

1 Like

I, too, thought this was gone the way of the dodo.

1 Like