Overall Animation Atmosphere

I have an interesting question today that is really quite broad. Any feedback is welcome, even just opinions and ideas.

I notice how blender animations usually differ from others in that they are sharper and have some other characteristic to them that’s hard for me to pinpoint. Here are some examples.

These animations are amazing! But as much as I like them, they’re not quite what I’m going for. Here are a few examples of the effect I am trying to replicate.

LET ME INTRODUCE YOU TO KINGDOM HEARTS- I apologize, I adore this franchise.

I’m not sure how to describe the difference- I guess maybe the latter ones are less sharp? But that doesn’t sound quite right… But the motion and graphics are just different somehow. Any advice or ideas on how I can get my animation closer to the latter examples? Or how to describe the difference? Please share what’s on your mind! :smiley:

Well for one, the hair and fur is very different.

True! I guess I’m trying to make my animation look less… Mechanic???

Honestly … I think you just need to learn to "see, critically."

Try to articulate for yourself what you think the differences are. For instance, the focus is very slightly soft, the overall color temperature is cooler, and the range of hue-and-saturation across the face of the figures is less. The Sonic figures use deeply saturated primary colors for the “fur” but warm light on the left and cold light at the same time on the right.

Whereas, Barbershop is lit entirely using warm tones. Even the highlights are warm. (The “Meetup” shot is, to my eyes, over-exposed and rather poorly lit.)

Take your present renders and try very hard to put your finger on the answer to: “this render would be exactly what I want, if I made the following [concrete] list of changes.”

One of my photo mentors also put it this way: "Look at the Light." Not the subjects, not the scene, but “the light, itself.”

1 Like

Aye, good to see another kingdom hearts fan! :wink:

A difference I see in these animations is the goal the artists had in mind, the Blender animations are
aiming for as much realism as possible, even though the characters in there films are cartoony, the lighting and materials are all meant to be extremely realistic. Kingdom hearts/ final fantasy/ sonic and other games series are aiming to make themselves as nice looking as possible and mostly ignore realism. They Aim to be believable but not realistic.

I guess it just comes down to visual intent and style. Blender is capable of any style, it just is about artistically getting it right.

1 Like

Okay, I’ll try improving my light skills! :wink:

True! I’m just trying to figure out how to make my animations look less mechanical but more smooth? But that sounds like it contradicts itself… And hey! I’m pretty new to it but I’m working on this Kingdom Hearts video to post on YouTube! My channel is under the same name as my profile name. :wink:

ThIs MigHt Be A good SPot tO FinD soME inGreDiENts
Screenshot_2019-03-06-21-59-33_kindlephoto-1084465458

When it comes to smoothness in animation, a lot of different things factor in. Like timing, speed of movement, framerate… (I know framerate has nothing to do with what your talking about tho) but these things evoke different feelings to the viewer.

KH and FF have a very floaty look to me, like the characters lack weight, and I agree, they have a very soft look to them, visually and in movement. Though their are still moments of fast action with the characters during battle scenes, but they always have elegance to them.

I can’t really tell you how to get that particular look because we’re talking about extreme subtleties in animation. :joy: The best advice I can give you is to practice and study animation itself!

Back to Blender, you know about the graph editor right? It allows you to control the curve between two keyfames, or the interpolation I guess. it’s a bit of work to get use to but essential for professional looking animation.

… “I think there’s a lucky emblem around here!”

Yes! I have heard of it! I’m just absolutely terrible at it…

“MY NAME… SPELLED BACKWARDS… IS DISNEY.”

Trust me, I didn’t like it either when I started, but after getting a better understanding of it’s use, I use it anytime I do animation now. And most of the time it’s just for small tweaks. Just play around with it and get a feel for using it. Here are few beginner tutorials if you’d like.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R9gCHhJOjlQ
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cp0jwXDuOow

“Darkness, within Darkness, within Darkness!!!”

The “default” curve between two keyframes is, I think, a Bezier curve which “eases in” to the move then “eases out,” but which might be a little bit too “easy.” And, the _farther away" (in time …) the two keyframe points are, the “easier” it gets because the curve has more time to flatten. It’s an approximation of what should happen – a good one, but just that. Left to its own, characters sometimes look like they’re “a little spaced-out.” :slight_smile:

If you watch your own hand as you, say, reach over to pick up the mouse, the "ease in" might be slower (perhaps it’s just the momentum of getting a heavy body-part – your arm – started moving), but the "ease out" is often more abrupt. You see where your arm needs to go and you unconciously move it directly there and just a little bit faster. A very slight manual “tweak” of the curve will achieve this.

I seized upon a first-edition copy of Disney Animation: The Illusion of Life when it first came out and there is a lot of good observation in there.

Ok, thanks for the advice! :slight_smile: :turtle:

Ok, thanks!!! :slight_smile:

“Look Mickey, A barber shop.”

1 Like