overlapping edges

Gday everyone
long time no post
I’m trying to make this fidget spinner but when I beveled the edges it made the edges overlap dunno if you can tell by picture? how can i deselect these bits without manually zooming in n deselecting each vertex
also why can I only bevel to 8?
drobbox link

Attachments

You’re trying to work with a messy mesh. Spend your time to make it correctly and you’ll have an easier time going forward

The four inner circles have uneven side lengths and a gazillion unwanted vertices

The mesh is going to be difficult to work with because of the topology, which is very dense n-gons. I would recommend trying to model lower poly with smooth edge flow and quads. Here is an example blend modeled on top of yours with a low poly mesh with flowing edges. I have only modeled a quarter of it, mirrored it on x and z (with clipping enabled) to fuse them. Then a bevel modifier and subsurf. Good to see you man!

Fidget-mod.blend on dropbox

Here’s an even simpler version which uses solidify instead a mirror or z, it a 2-d mesh before modifiers:
fidget-solidify.blend on dropbox

Hey blokes
thx so much I shouldn’t have made a 200 edge cylinder to make the boolean cuts outta the mesh I thought it would make it super smooth cuts but it just messed up the mesh ar well lesson learned lol

hi PhotoX
how do you suggest cutting out shapes to make good topology ?

No Hands

Personally I never use boolean, It just causes too many headaches for me, although it can be done with careful hard surface modeling. I always just look at the object and start visualizing the edge flow. Circles are usually 8 or 16 verts. as they are extruded outward they start to morph into the shape of the surrounding surface. If needed use 5 poles and tri poles, and avoid ngons. It takes practice. I recreated this piece using OSK and super extrude, and while somewhat more difficult there is a certain amount of “work” involved in making a good mesh, and it does just take some practice. Smart use of modifiers, mirror with clipping, then solidify, bevel and then susburf can turn a very small number of carefully placed verts into a perfectly smooth and manifold 3-d mesh. Look at this smooth manifold mesh, how many verts do you think it is modeld with?

The answer might surprise you: 14! The rest is modifiers.

fourteenvert.blend on dropbox

wow that is a awesome way of modelling I really have to get away from boolean but it is so easy to make models with hmmmm

What is that model’s intended use?
If geometry is not that much of a concern, there’s always a curve approach to consider:

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/27650383/21-12-2016%2014-20-15.png

This has the advantage of being completely “parametric”: The bevel, the size and placement of the holes and the overall shape can be adjusted at will at any time without having to remodel anything.

the model is going to be a 3d printed fidget spinner so measurements have to be precise thats why I like using boolean to cut exact size holes