P-38 Lightning

Painting will eventually happen, but I’ve got to get through UV setup and some project organization first.

I looked through your thread. What did you make all those things for?

i’m preparing some props for future WWII scenes
just for the fun and learning blender too

when i get time i will start doing more complex scenes using the props

by the way the B17 dashboard is not UV map it is real mesh!

happy bl

I can tell you put a lot of work into those items. It would be nice to see them put into some finalized projects.

Project update - weapons bay painted…

6 Likes

Textures look great, and I see the cockpit is soon to follow! Still using MARI?

@Mark06GT - Wow - love the detail. The Lightning has always been one of my favorites. Subbed for updates.

@isjatte83 - cockpit soon!, but first engines…

I switched from Mari to Substance Painter. Mari crashed hard on me and I lost all of my libraries. It seemed like a good time to switch. It turns out that I like SP better anyway.

@Daf57 -Thanks!

4 Likes

Cockpit updates…

5 Likes

are all panel’s meters done with mesh or only UV map ?

did you do all material texture in sub paint soft with some cracks dirt ect?

overall looks very nice

on wings i see some large circular things
looks very big
are these fuel caps for the wings ?

note:
paint on military planes were not specular - too easy to spot in sky and shoot down!

happy cl

Looks superb Mark, love the cockpit detail, instruments, instruction plaques & labels

Thanks for the comments.

@rickyblender:
The instrument faces are simple textures mapped to circles. The dials were drawn in photoshop.

The actual bezels, dial hands, knobs, etc. are modeled. Just about all of the painting and weathering is done in subtance painter.

You are correct, the circles on the wings are fuel caps.

I haven’t worked on the outside of the plane yet. The very shiny silver will be made more realistic as soon as I get the interior bits done. I posted those last two images just to show how things were fitting together.

does photoshop has some special patterns to do dials ?
or just usual tools

are the dials frames 3D or just 2D cause i don’t see any shadows around the dials!

happy cl

I made the dials by finding photo references of them and importing them into Photoshop. I had to tweak some of them to make them round (photos are often taken at an angle, which makes the reference image oval). Then I traced over them using typical paint brushes, masks, etc.

I don’t know what you mean about the dial frames being 2D or 3D and missing shadows. They seem pretty 3D to me. On this image, can you specify which instrument looks odd to you and why?

3 Likes

dials look 3D and nice at that angle
may be depends also on light sources
i see some reflections but not really shadows
so just wondering

happy cl

1 Like

Absolutely unbelievable what you do, fantastic. I build aircraft for the X-Plane flight simulator, and of course i “fly” these simulator aircraft myself, but i never saw such a detailed model. But, and that’s likely the reason, it would surely burst each RAM and GRAM, or before that the simulator won’t load this great work. But it is a realy great pleasure to be able to look at this work so closely as you made it possible. Is it a scientific work?

Thanks.

The project is just for fun.

This is a model I did a long time ago, but Blender has come so far since then, I thought I would rework it to take advantage of new features (particularly UDIMs). Now that I can use large textures (as well as paint in 3D with Substance Painter), I feel like I can really step up the quality of my work.

Put some paint on it. Lt Allen Hill, 80th Fighter Squadron / 8th Fighter Group

Also made a ditched version of the model over in finished projects: Lost Lightning

4 Likes

where did you get the background pic ?

can you control the cloud’s transparency?

looking very nice

happy cl

This is beyond impressive. I wonder what the polycount is currently.
And seeing those renders of the weapons-bay a few posts up makes me wonder where did the spent shells actually go in such configurations? Does anyone happen to know?

greetings, Kologe

Thanks for the comments!

@rickyblender, The background picture was taken from an airplane (back when people used to actually leave their homes and fly places). I can’t remember where exactly. Someplace in the eastern half of the U.S. Since it’s a photo, I can’t control much of the environment. I am currently playing with Blender’s GIS feature now, so I hope to have a fully 3D environment soon.

@kologe,
If you look below the girl’s feet on the nose of the plane, you will notice 2 rectangular holes. There are similar holes on the other side of the aircraft. This is where shells were ejected. The exterior of the aircraft is 1,049,242 faces. The interior is another 1,803,945 faces.

1 Like

for GIS
get some free external GIS soft to work with

also be careful how large the area you select is
or you gone end up with files in 10 X GB

not certain this can be imported in blender

anyway let us know if you do it
good luck

happy bl