The big Blender Sculpt Mode thread (Part 1)

well, i assume they use the libraries CoMiSo as first stage (the mixed integer quadrangulation, which creates some uv-map like structure for the triangles with certain properties) and then qex which performs the quad extraction. But i am not totally sure though, since the server-side processing source code for that comparision website seems not to be available online.

Hi :slight_smile:

for my sverchok / cffi experiments, i wrapped voro++ (for voronoi cells) and carve (for booleans) as CFFI nodes and called them via sverchok from python. Effectively those were some kind of “C-Nodes”, lol… Couldnt you wrap also carve for your boolean system ? I took the carve code from blender / intern directory for this purpose. See here for example:

1 Like

I did see the video below and wondered if there is a build where it is possible to make such conversions of grease pencil strokes to meshes. If there is such a build around where can be found? Any link?

How come openVDB isnt being used anymore? It seems to give better results than quadri flow

You don’t need a special build, just convert grease pencil to curve, give it some depth and then convert the curve to a mesh. You’ll find the convert option on the Object Menu.

1 Like

Thanks, did find it already! :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

the plan is to have both remeshers. OpenVDB is way faster with relatively good results as well :slight_smile:

4 Likes

Hey guys !
Whats the actual use of the separate voxel size numeric in the CSG operator list?
When I pick a resample method it basically just overrides the voxel grid of the overall mesh.
I thought it would be more of a “filter width” thing, controlling the crease of only the operations intersections.
Am I using it wrong?
Thx for any hints! :slight_smile:

Using yesterdays build on graphicall.

Cant upload a .blend right now, but you can easily reproduce.
Create Box with voxel remesh => append a new box as CSG operation => pick any resample method => play around with the voxel size in the CSG list.

Almost forgot: thanks for your amazing work Martin & Pablo! Loving the progress of the sculpt branch!

ya, that different voxel size implementation unfortunately is not correct (i resample the voxels…) but i dont have enough in-depth knowledge about OpenVDB yet in order to know how to do this correctly. As in which functions to use for this etc.

1 Like

Might it be better to rename it something like Resolution or Sharpness?

Been working on a stylized sculpt of singer Bjork using this branch (still very early wip), remesh is a dream, I got excited and used eevee for the first time.

Really looking forward to posing tools.

13 Likes

Add option to control de opacity of the sculpt mask
https://developer.blender.org/rBbc7068c4b9130a00116cef52fd5cc27926a63717

1 Like

Sculpt mask: Mask by normal operator
https://developer.blender.org/rBbad96e5c7c7ed721941e7bf0d96f4b2481052349

2 Likes

Just tried this one but it doesn’t seem to work, the mask goes all over the model, is there any settings to change ?

Edit : I will update the build tomorrow probably or Wednesday, I don’t have internet at the moment

1 Like

I haven’t tried it yet. I’m waiting for your build… :smile:

1 Like

Yes, and the alternative smoothing algorithm maintains volume, which you can more or less simulate by alternating Smooth + Inflate in Blender Sculpt Mode.

I guess Inflate with autosmooth would be a good alternative as well.

2 Likes

https://twitter.com/pablodp606/status/1120385664451862530?s=09

24 Likes

Merlin’s beard, this guy is unbelievable.

3 Likes

Legit! One question, why would you want the old behavior?