The big Blender Sculpt Mode thread (Part 1)

Why to mess this? Leave it as 2.79/3dcoat with addition to surface normals.

manage to compile it!!! well the Voxel remesh is just fun!!! and you can change the resolution by simple scaling the object until you find the resolution you are looking for.

Would still be too distracting.
The circle needs to go when doing strokes so you can see the deformation more clearly.
The way pablo implemented is great imo. I would just change the crosshair cursor with a better one (a little less white and perhaps with a gap in the mddle)…

1 Like

How about giving the user the choice to show the brush radius or not? Like in 3D Coat.

4 Likes

Is there a daily build of this?

Don’t waste brain power. The “bug” was fixed. Let’s move on. :smile:

If I apply voxel remesh within sculpt mode, its basically destructive. If I change the voxel size value, it doesn’t consider the pre remeshed sculpt, and mesh eventually just shrinks into nothing.

However if I use it in object mode it behaves as it should.

1 Like

you have to scale the model in order to have nice resolution, it is just implemented, just patients

This is how voxels always works, it’s scale dependent. And no, my advice is to not scale your model to increase the res, play with the numbers instead.

I think you have misunderstood what I’m saying. I can’t really explain it properly with video/GIF so nevermind for now.

witch numbers? I use the F3 search to activate voxel remesh, is there an other way? or you just mean changing the scale in the N panel? I’ll investigated

when you apply from the f3 menu, a little box appears in the bottom left where you can adjust the scale.

edit: what i’m saying is, if you click and drag to raise or lower the values in that box, your mesh will eventually become nothing. (in sculpt mode)

However if you remesh in object mode and drag values, this doesn’t happen.

In the redo panel (bottom left of the viewport)

This system still needs UI. It needs a “Voxel Remesher” panel in the tool settings tab, with the number field to set the voxel size beforehand and a button to execute it.

This is perhaps where other devs could give a little help I guess…

Well that is nice!!! thanks!!!
newbeing, now I understand what you said, and I think that to.

Brush cursor: Fix smooth stroke line position
https://developer.blender.org/rB0f1c86542ea2ae42f9136af43899f648a2c74fa5

Dam brush: Initial implementation
https://developer.blender.org/rB378baee4986e3ce27dae6d348a6111ec041f6b20

:slight_smile:

5 Likes

I have no experience with other sculpting apps beside Blender and a bit of Sculpttris so I gotta be that noob but WTF is a voxel remesher and what do you use it for?

Hey,

it’s supposed to be an improvement on the remesh modifier (but in the form of an operator so you can just launch it and voilà), the goal being to even out the polygons of a sculpt that can become super stretched over time (when you don’t use dyntopo for say performance reasons). Why it uses voxels I have no idea as this is beyond me.

1 Like

Voxel is an unit that composes 3dimensional images Volume-Element just like a Pixel composes a 2D image Picture-Element

The “voxel” Remeshers turn the original mesh in to a grid of volumetric cubes and then project them on the surface of the original mesh to recover its shape (Just what remesh modifier does).

1 Like

Many thanks for hooking us all up @ramboblender

1 Like

Vertex painting is broken in this branch, right? Anyone tried? :thinking: