The big Blender Sculpt Mode thread (Part 1)

Just to keep my sculpting perspective dynamic I decided to create a character model in ZBrush again.

Not to bash Blender (you know how much I :heart: Blender), but meant as feedback to Pablo: the ZBrush things I miss most in Blender are…

• The volume-preserving alternative smooth algorithm (can’t emphasize this enough). With Blender’s Smooth algorithm it’s harder to remove artifacts and keep areas nicely rounded.
  • Easy masking, hiding, clipping, cutting, slicing and managing polygroups (Face Sets) with just simple combinations of Shift, Control and Alt. This really makes sculpting a pleasantly fluid creative process instead of having to reach for tiny checkboxes inside menus that need to be unfolded.
  • Easy one-click changing of the location and orientation of the move / rotate / scale gizmo.
  • The feel of many brushes is still more natural than a number of Blender brushes, although Blender has improved in that area (the Scrape brush has much improved in Blender for example).
  • The Polish slider. This is a very important, super-useful, much-used, easily accessible tool to quickly smooth out irregularities.
  • Really effective topology-based brushing. In Blender the topology-based results are fiddly / feel off, and sometimes don’t seem to work at all.
  • A total of four ZRemesher auto-retopology algorithms. In Blender you need to buy Quad Remesher for the same quality auto-retopo, offering only one algorithm.
  • Sculptris Pro still being supported as a major feature instead of Dyntopo being an orphaned feature.
  • The Remesh by Boolean deformer, allowing easy Boolean union of self-intersecting parts.
  • Easy insertion of new meshes on the surface of your mesh (Insert Mesh brushes), without the need to go to a different mode and use add-ons.
  • Easy drawing of quad-topology surfaces and quad-face strips on a mesh surface.
  • Easy drawing of closed tubes across a mesh surface (ideal for things like stylized hair strands).
  • Dynamesh giving neater results than Voxel Remesh, especially on sharp edges.
  • The option to completely customize your UI.
  • The option to determine how well vertex paint is preserved during mesh decimation.

I expect these few things to be fixed by tomorrow, Pablo, thanks! :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

18 Likes