Pablo Dobarro's master plan for sculpting and painting, development news

If it crashes at 800k polys, there is probably something wrong with your system or there is something more than just multires involved.

Most of people are , at least, able to reach 3 millions and some can reach one, two or three dozens of millions of polys.
That being said, it has been frequent during 2.8 and 2.9 series, to see newly introduced features, not immediately supported by multires modifier.
Ace_Dragon already said it. Other developers are involved.
So, there is a latency about when new stuff is supported in multires.
Just saving .blend file after addition of modifier should solve several of annoyances.
Most of times, users have been warned in release notes that a feature is not supported by multires modifier.

But it is always possible to discover an unknown bug.

Yep - my system is getting on for 6 years old and it wasn’t absolutely top of the line when I bought it - Core i7 5930k, 32gb Ram and a single 980Ti graphics card. My biggest sculpt to date is 2.6 million triangles and aside from a couple of brushes being a little sluggish, I don’t think I have had a crash yet.

Dunno… it might be because i previously decimated the mesh with vertex group. I have the feeling that the mesh not being uniformly dense might not help. My system works usually well, I don’t see why it should have problems here. If i multires a sphere i can go much higher, but i guess that’s not a real world situation. Same mesh in zbrush obviously subdivided in an instant up to many millions polys.

I would like to stress again the fact that I don’t wanna throw empty critics to the devs, i love blender, i use it daily for my work and i think it’s awesome. There are still areas that are lacking however, that’s all… the multires i feel is still not really there for production use

Well. A sphere with a regular geometry is probably closer to a real world situation than a mesh with a chaotic topology.
Multires modifier is supposed to be used with a clean mesh issued of a retopology process.

Modifier is supposed to handle a topology containing some triangles or Ngons.
But a decimation can produce degenerated faces and loose geometry.
That does not mean that a crash should be expected.
Just, that this scenario may be out of usual workflow.

2 Likes

Yeah i guess you have a point. However seeing how it’s possible to handle the same mesh (zbrush or 3d coat) there’s definitely room for improvement

a new addon for sculpting BSpheres Addon

a new addon for sculpting BSpheres Addon

This should be already by default in Blender for any new user.

That’s why i like Zbrush, essential and new features already included, most of the time as free updates.

1 Like

Is the skin modifier really that bad for this sort of thing?

Zspheres or BSpheres are not skin modifier.

You add, edit and pose spheres on the fly, and without switching tools as you stay in sculpt mode.
It’s better workflow than skin modifier.

1 Like

Thanks for clarifying. Yes i know its a different workflow. It simply working more like what folks are used to from other apps is justification enough to have it as an addon. What I was asking was if you felt that blender’s skin modifier was unusable for this type of thing. Like is it too confusing to setup, or is the output a lot worse than what you get with z-spheres. Ok, so you are saying that you just don’t want to switch out of sculpt mode in order to set it up. Personally, while I’m ok with its output (blender isn’t missing basemesh creation tools), I think the skin modifier should be its own object type instead of a modifier. It’s too easy to apply it to a dense object by mistake, and its output is only useful when you subdivide it with another modifier. It feels like it should be a new object with a self contained workflow.

Skin modifiers is much better if it get fixed and features complete…:face_with_monocle:

• topology generation is quad based
  • if you understand the tool behavior you can get great results
    But it needs more love from developers…:pensive:
4 Likes

You can see all model and test I did with the skin modifiers

6 Likes

Looks interesting. Too bad your Skin modifier patch didn’t make it to Blender. What’s the reason for that?

Personally, I’m a fan of starting with the Remesh modifier in Voxel mode to combine and Boolean-subtract arbitrary shapes into a seamless basemesh. When done with the basemesh I usually convert it to a mesh, continue in Sculpt Mode, and finally use Quad Remesher (the add-on) to turn the result into a neat quad-poly structure.

3 Likes

Thats your opinion.

Isn’t my patch I’ test it but the image in the thread show the results with skin modifiers in blender. The implementation in blender don’t have the complex math in the original paper

4 Likes

Remesh modifier is nice, but the Voxel Mesher modifier is nicer… :stuck_out_tongue:
Seriously, why is it not in master yet??? :sob:

5 Likes

Yeah, the extra OpenVDB options in @scorpion81’s version are very nice. It’d be great if that version could be included in Blender.

5 Likes
14 Likes

Hey sculptors, please check out this build by Bartek Moniewski with additional controls to change the saturation, brightness and gamma of the matcaps, and give him some feedback before he submits the patch to be included in master :nerd_face:

I personally love being able to desaturate a matcap completely and use it with random colors for different objects, or to display textures, such a quality of life improvement!

16 Likes

Blender really needs a proper way to apply different matcaps on different objects… Random colors sometimes is not good enough… :frowning: