The big Blender Sculpt Mode thread (Part 1)

It’s not really about wanting them now rather than that there is a concern that Bcon1 for 2.82 is practically over and we have had no chance to actually test any of the features. Since you know, most of us here are Alpha/Beta testers. While I admit that it is much fun to be among the early adopters, it is still kind of a job to do quality assurance so the final release doesn’t become a buggy mess.

By this point during Bcon1 for 2.81 we already had the vast majority of features implemented where we could leave feedback so the features could grow from their initial versions (i.e. Voxel and QuadriFlow at the start of Alpha were a lot more buggy and less feature rich than how they are now thanks to a lot of feedback). If they are going to follow a schedule where all major features are supposed to be in by Bcon1, it then becomes a concern that they are behind schedule for the next content patch.

I know this last month has been a bit extra awkward because of BlenderCon and Brecht’s vacation. However, if this keeps up in every new release then it’s pretty obvious that the scheduling has to change, since things are obviously not working if things are constantly behind schedule.

3 Likes

I think they already are changing the schedule. From the Dev Notes they mentioned 6 months for 2.82. There is no way they’ll get Mantaflow, Undo, Asset Manager, UDIM, and whatever else they have planned to review/commit in just a few weeks.

Edit: Looks like a delay on 2.81:

I’m trying to be realistic and not get excited over QuadriFlow Guides (I’m not sure there’s much Pablo could do to improve the results), but then I remember it’s Pablo we’re talking about and I just can’t help but feel excited.

3 Likes

Happy to hear that they are taking more time for new content patches than trying to fit into such a strict scheduling structure when things didn’t work out initially.

3-4 months for a new version were a bit extreme considering that the feature freeze kicks in way too fast and even one dev being away during one of those stages (Brecht) would put features into limbo for too long while the Bcons kept moving at a rapid pace.

6 months should be enough to address the issues we’re currently having with 2.82 and so on. :partying_face:

2 Likes

By the great void, now that you mention it… it’s going to be one hell of a release. o_o

2 Likes

What does this mean?

Looks like a nasty workaround to avoid this. Like, we won’t be able to go down on subdivs to sculpt, it will be on the highest sub all the time. :upside_down_face:

Can’t believe they’ll release it like this. This bug should block the release IMO.

2 Likes

Yes, until Multires gets fixed it should be disabled

1 Like

I’m seriously considering going back to working with the official Blender releases. I noticed that keeping close track of the frequent changes and additions gives me the same restless FOMO feeling as frequently checking social media did when I was still up to my neck in it. Pablo’s frequent feature teasers are nice, but they also make you want to try it right away, while you often need to wait a while.

The world of (video) tutorials has also changed since Blender development accelerated. Previously, a number of new features were discussed after a new version release. But right now the amount of Blender YouTubers is growing as fast as Blender is growing, and it’s becoming confusing what feature can be found in which Blender alpha / beta / branch / addon / official version.

In other words…

:grin:

16 Likes

Just follow this thread and you’ll be fine, old timer. We’re pretty good at keeping most things sculpt related updated here. :partying_face:

4 Likes

I even get FOMO if I haven’t checked this thread ten times a day. :grin:

But wait, what’s this on my SSD? It’s ZBrush, and it’s updated only once a year! Hello baby! :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

1 Like

Ideally there is functionality within the QuadriFlow API to guide loops and mesh density.

1 Like

Multires is broken enough that any proper fix is likely to be pretty involved (ie. large commits that can’t be done in a few days or even a week).

I’m not sure what we would gain if we made the devs. not working on Multires sit around for a month or two (save for the occasional fix) while Sergey and Pablo commit fixes. Forcing all of your developers to idle (for long periods) while one specific area gets worked on is likely to drive a number of them away.

That’s not FOMO. You’re suffering from a textbook case of Feature Lust!

2 Likes

At time i also feel overwhelm by the advance in development but what i learn after all these years in the field is that ignoring can cost you direly in term of production gain.

Sometime new tool can make you save hours if not days of hard work so checking is now part of my routine and usually at the end of a week i check for any new tech or addons that could speed my workflow.

1 Like

This is not a fix. This is a bad joke. What was Sergey thinking? D:

2 Likes

They said that they would do this if they couldn’t finish it for 2.81. Removing the feature altogether would break a lot of my projects and would make sculpting overall worse on my end despite how broken it currently is. It is only a temporary bandaid until a real fix is implemented.

2 Likes

Sergey made a new update regarding the MultiRes bug:

Hey @Sergey Sharybin (sergey) any ETA on when this will be fixed? Just curious :slight_smile:

@Alan Ihsan (AlRedd), the proper fix will be started to be worked on as soon as 2.81 tasks are tackled.

So apparently it is not getting worked on yet until 2.81 is completely wrapped up. I thought it was already in the works because of how serious of a bug it is, but apparently not.

2 Likes

Probably due to the fact that Sergey Sharibin was pretty busy with the conference, it was postponed until he can have some quality time to look at the issue. Let’s hope 2.82/83 have the issue ressolved.

If a feature is broken/not ready yet, then it shouldn’t be part of the official release. A serious company don’t do this kind of stuff, that’s embarrassing.
2.80 is not going anywhere. If people want to keep using it in this broken state, then they should keep using 2.80.