The big Blender Sculpt Mode thread (Part 1)

If you submit a ticket to Pixologic you can also send a suggestion for a function or improvement. I’ve done that a number of times, and had some really nice chats with Paul Gaboury.

4 Likes

I know how bug reports and feature requests in proprietary software are. Most of the time they are not open tickets to everyone, and not everyone can read and participate in those tickets. With Blender we have at least 4 different open communication channels where everyone can read and participate in each discussion.

1 Like

And yet, some devs find the way to ignore them all… :man_shrugging:

1 Like

Agreed. To me the ideal scenario would be if they had community managers that filtered the majority of the feedback and questions. That way when the devs do give an answer, it doesn’t heavily impact their day to day workflow by having to personally check every forum and website for feedback directed towards them specifically.

7 Likes

Pablo have rights to live his life in way he want. Who are you to demand that Pablo or anyone else Must obey your wishes? Calm down and relax.
Pablo are not usual developer, someone with good knowledge about tech stuff, but without any “artistic” background. So he do not need someone to tutor him. Also how you can be sure that Pablo do not read what users say.
And last… PABLO DO WORK, he do not have time to chit chat with spoiled, childish people which seek for attention. If he spend even 1 hour in “important” chit chat, this mean that his work day is 1 hour shorter. So instead to dictate to others what to do with his life, learn to code and make own stuff.
Respect others.

8 Likes

Exactly. Just like any production environment, feedback has to be collected and filtered, organized in a meaningful manner as to not waste developer time with them reading through endless forums.

5 Likes

Isn’t that exactly what Pablo Vazquez is doing? He collects question from the community on a weekly basis and answers all the common questions that have been asked over and over again by himself. Everything else is forwarded to the developers and they respond usually in the form of a short live interview.

3 Likes

I wouldn’t think so. Pablo Vazquez is showcasing development on a weekly basis and is trying to answer random questions from the community best to his abilities. It’s more marketing than anything else. There are many cases where he just doesn’t have adequate oversight of an issue.

Normally collecting and organizing feedback would need to happen on a per module basis. It would need to be done by people with experience and expertise in the given fields who can clearly distinguish and prioritize between wants and needs in accordance to feasibility and roadmap.

5 Likes

Hi. I agree about what you say about Pablo’s work.
But I think the discussion is getting a little heated, and I apologize if I have contributed to it. To be fair, @TheRedWaxPolice has been following Pablo’s work from the beginning and is one of those who most shares the news here on this thread. Maybe we should all calm down a bit.

4 Likes

Agree. But I also agree with my self :yum:
Let ALL calm.

2 Likes

Okay, how many paid developers is the Blender community willing to lose so the BF has the resources to hire community managers? How much dev work are you willing to not see happen in favor of focus groups and community workshops?

The dev. rate will nosedive, but you would hope the quality of development will go way up, except for the fact that Autodesk and Unity spends a ton of resources on that stuff and their products aren’t exactly the pinnacle of quality engineering.

I don’t think anyone wants to sacrifice development in favor of management, quite the contrary. It’s just a matter of when, and how many managers are needed to aid development in a constructive manner.

If a developer spends an hour a day checking forums on devtalk and rightclickselect (some of them even twitter or BA) that would be 5 hours of development time, with 20 developers, 100 hours a week. Letting them focus on sprints and going over proposals and criticism in by-weekly meetings, presenting to them an organized and condensed summary of key points brought up by the community would arguably streamline development and spare them frustration of having to micro manage complaints and getting involved with out of control debates.

Also, production and management has usually a much lower cost factor then developers.

3 Likes

Wait, are you guys saying that all these 6096+1 posts were waste of time?

3 Likes

Nah, I’m sure forum activity is contributing to ad revenue for BA and is in change helping Blender in the long run. Also let’s not forget the fun factor of having an interesting and at times heated conversation. :slight_smile:

Unless the purpose would be solely to influence where development is going. In that case, yes, I think it could be called futile.

4 Likes

Possible performance improvements :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

https://developer.blender.org/D8442

Pablo is asking for testing on as many CPU as possible … Go test

2 Likes

Yes, but user requests for features / improvements are usually not responded to, while that does happen when you engage Pixologic by submitting a ticket. Because you have paid for the software you’re granted the right to communicate with the developers.

Let’s be honest: Right-Click Select seems relatively useless. Blender development follows its own direction because it’s free software, so users don’t have a right to participate in the course of development. That’s why I think some basic level of interaction with Blender devs — comparable to a customer service — would be righteous for users who pay more than the base level donations (e.g. starting with Platinum members), because those users are comparable to commercial software customers. That would also attract more users paying such a donation level.

In the end, both users and developers have the same goal: making Blender as good as possible, so in a properly regulated way mutual communication between users and developers benefits Blender.

6 Likes

Blender listen to the users. The proof are the “Paper Cuts” posts in Devtalk, new features now in Blender like Drag and drop Modifiers, more noise textures, Destructive Extrude, screen space cavity, etc and more coming because they were requested in the Right Click Select forum by a lot of people, Pablo doing live streams (in his free time) and answering questions and asking to leave opinions in the comments…

New features, addons, etc need bug fixing and code maintenance FOR YEARS. Devs know that and that’s way they are very careful when they choose what to put in Blender.

6 Likes

17 posts were split to a new topic: Average income of a developer

Weld modifier lately…

4 Likes

You miss the point… but this is going to be too offtopic and will kill the thread… so… :+1:

3 Likes