The big Blender Sculpt Mode thread (Part 1)

Of course… comparing your own work with others is part of process. But I talk about different stuff.
Maybe my Engrish is not good enough… just try to put yourself in Pablo position.

1 Like

I don’t know him, so I can’t. What I do know of Pablo is that he’s a very smart guy, who should be (hopefully) fully capable of realizing that when one does work that literally affects the lives of thousands of people, one is bound to be talked about, loudly, in, well, various contexts.

We shan’t stop comparing Blender to other software, favorably as well as unfavorably. The mere fact that we even can do so speaks volumes of the level of effort put into it, not just by Pablo, by everyone over the past quarter of century, starting with Ton, on to all the developers, backers, and ending with volunteers who’d ever submitted a smallest patch. If we ever stop it would only mean one thing, and hopefully that thing never, ever happens.

5 Likes

This are misunderstanding or … whatever. I didn’t mean that you literally put yourself in other position, this is more … figurative. Just common phrase, obviously.
I don’t want to go too much off topic but there are different ways to compare yourself ( Blender in this case ), with others. In short, I simply stop to talk about Blender and my experience on couple sites. Because ( new breed ) of Blender users get very bad reputation… with good reasons.
Whatever, I’m out.

I have written a few addons, and just after release, someone always appears disappointed and complaining that my tool is not a good enough alternative compared to some other tool I’ve never heard about, as If I was intentionally trying to create such an alternative.

Its kinda mildly annoying sometimes, specially when these people insist that my add-on is a replacement and keep asking me to make it more and more similar.

6 Likes

Could we do that in another section of the forum? There is a section “Other software”.
No problem if someone asks here how to do this ZBrush thing in Blender. But if it’s information about ZBrush new releases or new features, or talking about how good ZBrsuh sculptors are compared to others, I think it has nothing to do with this thread. It is really annoying and off topic.

You are Blenderartists crew and I really think you are not doing it with bad intentions. But please keep this in mind.

4 Likes

And this was the point I was trying to make earlier. Pablo is a very talented individual and imho if he wants to create 50 tools that help us get things done faster, I am here for it.
My issue is with the Blender higher ups who decide what goes and what stays, I would have thought that while sculpting is being improved with these awesome features by Pablo, baking, vertex colors, multi res are being created and preplanned on a solid foundation where these important things can be added easily. I have been wondering why we have been getting so many good sculpting tools but the other areas have been abandoned for some time now.

Which makes me wonder why Pablo was not listened to if he mentioned this. He is definitely someone who has a lot of experience and maybe some research could have been done to look into that. If we are getting a completely new multi res, that is valuable time already wasted which means like I mentioned earlier postponing some of its use till further notice.

Another thing I wanted to mention, Is I feel its not right for anyone here to speak on Pablo’s behalf or make assumptions on how he views things especially if you don’t know him personally. He may be checking on this thread from time to time and may actually appreciate the criticisms and comparisons and finds them useful or he may not mind them at all. A lot of devs approach things differently and I strongly feel that if he finds anything offensive or problematic, he would let us know himself. He uses social media.

3 Likes

Just had a thought.

All the brushes I’ve ever used and keep using are the Grab, Clay, Flatten, Crease and Snake-Hook brushes. So basically most new cool-ish tools Pablo has added didn’t felt very useful to me.

I wonder how many people will only actually use a handful of brushes and leave the rest forgotten as me.

2 Likes

This happens to pretty much everyone at some point… that’s why the basic stuff is always the most important… :wink:

2 Likes

yep i literally just use like about 5-8 brushes in blender lmao…

1 Like

Just in case you’re referring to my couple of sentences about the new ZBrush version:

When I referred to Ofer ‘Pixolator’ Alon as the original 3D sculpting genius, that was meant as a compliment to Pablo, whom I consider the next 3D sculpting genius. I’ve already expressed that multiple times in this thread.

Also, I did not compare ZBrush to Blender. Just wanted to mention that ZB 2021.6 has some cool features, hoping similar features will come to Blender.

1 Like

Many impressive videos shared about Pablo’s work are about very specific stuff.
Most of Pablo’s work, until now, had been about basic stuff.
Basic stuff that are impacting everybody or basic stuff for new workflows allowed by Pablo.
On the dozen of new brushes created by Pablo, one third are corresponding to substitutes to other brushes with a little extra (Draw Sharp instead of Crease, Clay Thumb, instead of Thumb, Elastic Deform instead of Grab/Snake Hook). One third is about specific cases that were not covered before (Multi-Scrape, Boundary, Cloth). And the last third is a basic for any workflow or a specific workflow (Pose brush is a basic for posing whatever workflow is used. Multires Eraser, Multires Smear are basics specific to Multires Modifier use. Slide/Relax is a basic specific to remeshing.).

Next to those new brushes, he added Transform tools, Mesh Filters, Trim Tools and Face sets with dedicated tools.
So, most of Pablo’s work has been about extending the field of basic tools to allow different procedures.
What you are doing with Grab, Clay, Flatten, Crease and Snake Hook, somebody else may do it using Elastic Deform, Clay Strips, Scrape, Line Project, Draw Sharp, Smooth and Translate tool + a mask.

What is sure is whatever your sculpting workflow is : Pablo had done something for you.
He modified the basic settings for all brushes. (Normal radius, Hardness, new Fall Off presets, spacing, automasking)
Except modifying UI for Brush management, completing Vertex/tTexture painting workflow, making some retopology tools, I don’t really see what he could do now to improve basics for everybody.

5 Likes

https://twitter.com/pablodp606/status/1365302188105424897

22 Likes

ditto on @Jeacom. We see a lot of new interesting tools, but the workflow is still cranky. I’m afraid everything will turn vaporware before we can have something quick, robust, useful.
Where did all this start? one year? two year ago?

1 Like

I’m afraid Pablo could be digging a trap to himself. adding so many oddly specific features to sculpt mode will make it a huge hassle to make any big update/optimization to the core sculpting code, it could require updating every single brush and tool also, unless he’s an extreme genius and created a super robust abstraction layer.

2 Likes

He did that, although I don’t know how robust it is. He called it the sculpt API, it’s a translation layer between tools and dyntopo, mesh and multires

Let’s hope for the better, then.

That is cool. We asked for that. He updated the pie-menu, too.

I realized that he fixed display problem I encountered, yesterday.

Maybe, somebody can confirm my new issues. I have an instant crash when using Add/Substract, Contrast and Invert IPMask filters.

Based on his presentation a few years ago where he explained some code, he seems to be a superbly lazy programmer. The best kind of programmer.

1 Like

I’m also a lazy programmer. It’s all good until I have to read the code I left to fix later and dont remember sheet of what I did to make it so ugly and complicated.

I usually just delete the file and start over. And I feel like Pablo wants to do the same to dyntopo.

Code so messy that you delete the file and start over… that’s kind of the opposite of the “lazy programmer” spirit.

The creator of the data structures used by dyntopo stated recently that it was NEVER supposed to be used by something like dyntopo. I think he started trying to make a new data structure that would be better suited for it. I’m not sure how far along it is. I think without that guy and possibly a few other people who created the dyntopo system coming back to the project to maintain/fix/improve it, there might not be any way to keep dyntopo as a part of the currently maintained/improved sculpt mode.

2 Likes