pack data problem

I packed data on a blend file with animated textures. When I unpacked it on another computer, two textures were missing: the largest ones. To give you some idea: one texture was about 480MB. Is there a limit to the amount you can pack?

Hi Paul !

I’m not sure that I’ll be able to help you, but several weeks ago, I sent a packed.blend file to someone using Linux, and he couldn’t use some textures. I use Windows XP home edition.

Are you working under Windows, Linux or an other OS ?

I ask this, because I believe that under Linux you can’t open some formats of compressed textures with Blender. The problem may be here… or maybe not…

Philippe.

I am working under Mac Os X - Panther. I packed data in a project, and then tried to reopen the project in a Windows XP environment. I also tried to open the same project on another mac at work - but the same problem was evident on BOTH platforms: the two biggest textures were missing.

what format were they?

well, if it doesn’t work in both I guess it wouldn’t be an issue with quicktime then.

it wouldn’t surprize me if big textures were in fact not packed, it also appears that sounds are not packed.

I agree with z3r0 d. I think that the texture were not packed.

Every time I use pack datas, I make a “Save as” copy of the file, then I Apply pack data to the copy, and save it again before exporting. If the big texture have been added at last, maybe they havent’ been saved with the project…

Philippe.

what format were they?

well, if it doesn’t work in both I guess it wouldn’t be an issue with quicktime then.

it wouldn’t surprize me if big textures were in fact not packed, it also appears that sounds are not packed.

They were animated quicktime files, compressed to the animation codec.
Have you seen the AMTV intro on my website?

http://www.flawedprefect.com/showreels.html

That’s the finished product. The textures that were not packed were those applied tothe studio at the end (the big yellow building at the end that the toast flies into.)

The PNG system seems to be the best, however, and I will use it for next time. If I am thinking of another thread here, this is how it works: You enable Z-Buffer on the planes with alpha’d textures, then enable PREMUL and RGBA. When you export the sequence, it imports perfectly into After Effects and the rest of the comping is a piece of cake!

For this animation, however, I did it the LOOOOOONG way. I will NEVER try this way again! LOL! but, FYI, here it is:

If the scene is on LAYER 01, Duplicate all 3d objects and save them to a LAYER 02. Duplicate the lights and move them to that layer, also. Duplicate all planes with textured materials and save to LAYER 03. Again, duplicate the lights and put them on this layer also.

Create a texture called “alpha”. This texture should be WHITE. Then turn off TRACEABLE, and all other buttons that makes this material interact with its environment.

Make the WORLD sky black.

Render out LAYER 02. Render out LAYER 03. Render out LAYER 01.

Import all into After effects. Create a comp called “alpha” and lay the LAYER 03 render over LAYER 02. Change tranfer mode to “Add”.

Create a new comp, and import the new Alpha comp and the LAYER 01 render. Sett LAYER 01’s matte to the Alpha comp. Voila: you have its alpha channel knocked out.

Boy, if I’d known then… LOL! %|