Packaging

Hi all

I have a question to ask, that has probably been asked a millions times, but I need some human contact! :smiley:

Anyway, I work at a company that works with finished art for a company that requires pack renderings. The moment my manager mentioned that they are looking for software that could do this, I screamed Blender. Unfortunately, due to the “bias” against free software packages like Blender it was almost immediately ignored.

Until the future price tag for other software packages became apparent, that is. :eyebrowlift:

SO the thing is, I don’t know if Blender is really suited for what we want. :o Rendering pack shots with different backdrops and maybe some animation… definitely! But what they want is something that can be viewed in PDF and looks almost like a textured sketchup model.

Or failing that maybe a Quicktime VR file.

I can’t remember what the one kind of software was called, but this specific software could fold the packaging once thickness and scoring was input. It was more CAD like though and rendering was rudimentary (IMHO). The other stuff that they were looking at was the usual suspects like Maya and 3d Max.

I would like it to be Blender. I’m working on a g5 Mac, but we do have some more up to date ones here and one or two pc’s.

What do you guys think, possible? Worth it? {I mean obviously worth it if the difference between the packages is $0 vs $ungodlyamount.}

I posted here a year ago… so I’ve been out of it for a long time, and if this takes off I will be using you guys as a sounding board till either you call out an airstrike on me or have me thrown off the forum.

But until then, thanks so much for whatever help you can give and for reading this post!

Regards

Moi.

Blender has many features that most professional programs do too and Blender also has some newer awesome features that the professional programs don’t have. However, the Blender Internal Renderer is not photo realistic. It is biased, so it is good for animations (And stills if you don’t care about photorealism.) If you want just a render that looks like a textured sketchup model, I guess it’s just a plan or design render. Blender can render photo realistic images with external renderers such as Indigo, which however requires a purchase of a license. Luxrender is also a photo realistic renderer and it’s free. These are not very good for animation though. Blender is definitely the best free 3D modeling suite, so if you are not too serious about flawless workflow and if your pocket is feeling too light weighted, blender is for you.

Thanks for the reply. I understand that the results will not be photorealistic using the internal render engine. But honestly the idea is just to convert the print design on the boxes to jpegs and align them on the model in blender. Then the idea is to export the result to .wrl which seems to be format for 3d in Acrobat Pro 9. This is where I need some guidance.

If blender can accommodate something like that it would be kewl, at least the customers will be capable of spinning the design around. However, what I think they are aiming for here is something where you can unfold the design to see how it works, as well as how the thickness of the board influences design. Luckily only a minor amount of our designs are on corrugated cardboard, so this will not be the rule. I don’t know if you’ve seen the pdf examples on the net where you can “explode” parts of a jet turbine to see how it all fits together. Crude rendering, but enough to get by.

Any ideas? Can blender do this?

Hmm… You can make an animation of all the parts exploding apart. If your PDF can support 5 frame animations, then I guess your good. Just animate the camera to 5 different positions showing different views, then just make each frame last 5 seconds…

I wish I could show you what I’m talking about. It’s almost as if the mesh is “live” in the program and you skin a texture across it. What can then be done is by pressing buttons you can fold the panels to exact “mockup” position, which will enable you to actually check if the design works on the mesh.

It’s cool though, they have a program here called ENGView which allows them to do that. At best the render quality is like sketchup… more or less. But do-able. It would’ve and would still be cool if Blender allows a person to creates something similar (even if it’s just the closed box) but you can then see the effects of foiling and embossing by spinning the model in something like QuickVR.

Here are a few examples of what I’m talking about:

Very basic example : http://www.renderplus.com/pdf/Bac-a-fleurs.pdf

Something like this, maybe with embossing and metallic foil areas, but as you can see the model is in effect very low quality. The current program we use is ENGview, it can generate these kind of pdf’s with high quality bitmap textures, no embossing / varnish etc effects though. The only problem is, we don’t own the program {we are contracted to the company that owns it} and I thought… hey, before we pay the 50k rand for the software, why not find out if Blender can do it too? Since this example is a Sketchup model, I’m assuming the answer is yes.

But…(there’s always a but) I would like to create some “steps” in the model that allow the thing to unfold, expand etc.

Like so: http://www.adobe.com/products/acrobat/pdfs/3d_pdf_demo.pdf

The rendering here {or non rendering for that matter…} is okay for actually viewing the packaging we do.
But can blender animate and from that animation export such a stepped PDF friendly 3d file?

Sorry for bumping this the whole time, and seeing how I’m the one replying to myself the most (^^) I’m guessing this isn’t a very “hot” topic, but I am really in need of some advice.

Regards

J

If you Google “Blender and Quicktime VR” you will get lots of hits. People have done it.

I thought QTVR would do the trick, but unfortunately it doesn’t seem to be what it’s used for {and I quote}:

QuickTime VR (virtual reality) (also known as QTVR) is a type of image file format supported by Apple’s QuickTime. It allows the creation and viewing of photographically captured panoramas and the exploration of objects through images taken at multiple viewing angles. It functions as a plugin for the standalone QuickTime Player, as well as working as a plugin for the QuickTime Web browser plugin. QuickTime VR will play on Windows computers as well as Apple Macintosh computers.
Apple continues to include QuickTime VR in its QuickTime technology. Many software companies create authoring applications to create QuickTime VR content.

It honestly seems that QTVR is not the way to go, all the examples I got on search were of panoramic views, which in essence isn’t really VR is it? It’s just bitmaps strung up on the inside of a dome, much like those old park rides.