Paint Layers with alpha show light pixels around edges - Eevee

So do you think add-ons like BPainter would manage this for hand painting textures? Or would it be better to go to a dedicated bit of software like Substance Painter of 3D-Coat?

Don’t worry if you haven’t used either, just a general question.

I’be tried them all a bit, but I’ve only used substance painter extensively. I rarely go sub 2k for my own textures so I haven’t really noticed how they handle texture filtering on pixel level. I’ve had some problems with Substance Painter where the material ID mask gets filtered so there’s tiny gaps between different materials when using color masks, but I can’t remember if the masks got filtered already at baking or was it how painter was handling it. That’s solved by having the most dominant material on lowest layer with no masking. Or having a neutral material that isn’t very noticable.

For just general hand painting 3D coat had the best feel, but I’m mostly just painting material layer masks when texturing.

I tried BPainter a long time ago, so I can’t comment on the current version. The 2.7 something version was a bit clunky. Might have been that I just didn’t put enough time into getting used to the UI.

If you plan to use same approach of having the color be a single fill layer and paint just the mask/alpha I think all of them should work. Don’t really remember though how bpainter handled the texture layer and if there was any limitations there.

Edit: In conclusion it would be a good idea to actually test it out. I don’t think I have 3D coat installed at the moment, but I could try it in SP sometime.

Similar scenarios:

Substance Painter

Quixel Mixer

BPainter Old version in 2.79

Steps:
Made a base fill layer.
Made a transparent paint layer.
Yellow blob on paint layer.
Erase part of yellow.
Paint on erased part with different color. [

BPainter is the only one that has problems with color edge interpolation.

1 Like

I found the same and with BPainter recently. Going to give Substance Painter a go next.

Thanks @0451