Paint.NET 5 released with GPU support

Download

4 Likes

I recall many years ago (when I first tried Paint . NET) that it was decided that while it would be free, it would not be an open-source project. As a result, the app. back then was largely a one man show, and by the looks of the release notes it still is, meaning there will be no way for it to continue should Rick Brewster go on to other ventures (ie. a commercial paint app.). The community can write plugins for sure, but it is not the same compared to GIMP or Krita.

It is also Windows only (and Windows 10 and 11 at that), so that should be kept in mind if you’re trying to decouple yourself from the MS ecosystem in order to make it possible to eventually move to Linux.

3 Likes

From what I’ve read, Paint.net is not as feature-complete as Affinity Photo or GIMP. It seems to be MS-Paint on steroids. A feature like inpainting / content-aware fill needs to be realized using a third-party extension.

The Windows-only availability is indeed also a drawback.

I’m personally using Affinity Photo and PhotoScape X (Pro). Together, they fulfill all of my image editing needs.

1 Like