Painting realistic hair in GIMP?

Im doing a project for a game, i am supposed to create hair styles for the characters. i have already created one hair style, which is like long hair, just past shoulder length. Im working on painting the UV right now, the problem is that i cant get good looking straight hair in GIMP.

I tried just taking the mouse and moving left and right very fast, but it looks like the hair hasn’t been combed for months that way. I just need to get a lot of straight strands of hair easily. like with some type of brush or something, but i cant find one that does that.

please help, after i finish the UV map i have to rig the hair, then i have to do all of this 9 more times.

There’s some tutorials at 3dtotal.com

There are also tons of tutorials for Photoshop. Doing those tutorials in Gimp is usually very straight forward.

ok thanks, ill check them out :smiley:

I presume you’ve seen NateTG’s hair tut. (Get it here: NateTG.zip)

As you can see from the tut, the alpha is the hardest part. Use the brush tool in Gimp with varying Fade-Out values.

Hope this helps.

NateG is awesome. I wish I was half as good as most of you here. I do ok with a pencil, but through the 3rd D at me and I suck. I do ok following tutorials, but I think it’s like most things one becomes good at, you get to a point when the fundamentals come to you automaticly from many hours of practice…At least it was that way for me with music. I try to use music as an analogy for most things I want to learn, that way I can hold on to hope.