Panning viewports doesn't work - Blender 2.64 Mac

Hi there

I’m new to Blender, former Lightwave user, and so far, I’m very impressed! The UI is complex but kinda similar to LW so, I like it. One problem though.

As far as I can tell, all the mouse and key combo functions work as the should. With one exception. Panning in all viewports (top, front, right, perspective) doesn’t. I googled this problem, found nothing. Well, found some similar problems but way older Blender versions and nothing that really applies to me. I tried to change the user prefs (different mod keys other than shift), nope. I tried to change the mouse settings in the system prefs (Mac) to no avail. As I said, zooming, rotating, selecting, ALL other mouse functions work exactly as they should. Panning? No go.

I hope somebody can shed some light on this cause I’m eager to learn Blender and bring one of my old Lightwave characters over. The rigify feature alone is worth the learning curve for me. Rigging in LW was so cumbersome, it really took all the fun out of the whole process, including animation.

I didn’t do any 3D work the past couple years, but mainly because my LW license was expired and the version I had was just not fun to work with. Seeing how much better this can work, I really want to get back in the game!

I really don’t know whether or not this is the right place to post this but I also want to thank all the developers for bringing a pro caliber 3D animation software like Blender to the masses!

System Info
Mac Pro Quad-Core Intel Xeon
Mac OS X 10.6.8
Mac extended keyboard (with numpad and everything)
Logitec 3-button-mouse with scrollwheel

Blender 2.64.0, r51232

Thanks for any help!

Cheers
Uwe

I am very new to Blender as well and trying to get my bearings. I love the program so far, but I’ve had similar problems to what you are explaining. My experience is that I have to press down on the middle mouse button EXTREMELY hard to make it work. Sometimes too I’ve noticed that I may be pressing sideways and that will have an effect on which way the “world” will spin. If I’m ever so slightly pressing left as I press down on the MMB (middle mouse button), the plane will spin left, but not right, and vice versa. It is VERY touchy in that respect, but not very touch in the press down where you have to press hard enough that it seems like it will break the mouse. That said, it is what I have found and may not be your problem. I’m working with a wireless logitech mouse with a spin wheel that is the MMB as well, so that could have some impact on my troubles,

I run OSX 10.6.8 with Blender version 2.64a and the panning function works for me.

Maybe download 2.64a version straight from blender.org? Or maybe even an earlier version like 2.63?

If you’re using custom keybinds, try resetting to the defaults? Sometimes when I try importing keybinds from older versions of blender some keybinds get lost.

Check to make sure there aren’t any keybinds that might take precedence over the pan function. (That can be a bit tedious as blender doesn’t have a way to search “by input”)

Thanks for trying to help skywolfblue

I already have 2.64a. Going back to an earlier version isn’t really an option. I suspect it has something to do with my system, its probably not a problem with Blender. It behaves that way since I first installed it. No customization whatsoever.

I’m pretty sure this is not a problem with Blender but your mouse not functioning correctly. How old is it? After a couple thousand button presses, mice tend to show that behaviour. The buttons just wear out.

Hi. Not sure if this will help, but maybe…I had a similar problem, where my zoom was like the only thing that worked.
when I switched from blender 2.49 to 2.5+, I noticed that the buttons on my Microsoft intellitype mouse didn’t work as they did in the previous version. It was very frustrating and precluded me from trying to learn the newer versions for a long time.

I did some research and found that there was probably something wrong with my mouse’s compatibility with newer blender versions. What ended up working for me was to go into the user preferences and click emulate 3 mouse button. then, I could hold down alt and left mouse button to do the rotating view…and use alt+shift+ LMB to do any panning. It worked. Dunno if this will work for you, but at least when someone with a similar problem is researching it, this response will show up and be of use to that person. Good luck.

Hey Moen85, thanks for your response. I’m at home right now so I can’t give that a try but I definitely will once I’m back at the office. I’ll let you know if it worked. Thanks again.

Tried your suggestion with the setting “emulate 3 button mouse”. Didn’t work. This is so frustrating. I could’ve done so much work already but with no way to navigate the viewports, I’m stuck.