Panther problems

I just upgraded to panther on my iMac G3 400MHz, and blender no longer works. When i start it from the command line, it exits with a segfault error - I have the correct (fink) python installed, and so on. Is this a known bug? I’ve tried 2.32, 2.31a, and 2.28, all of which behave in the same way. Being unable to use blender on this box isn’t a total catastrophe, as i have a linux box as a backup, but it’d be nice to be able to work in the nicer OS X environment.
Thanks in advance for any help :slight_smile:

I’ve used Blender 2.28 and 2.3x on a G3 iBook 500 and an iMac G4 1.25 GHz with Panther and haven’t had any problems. Today’s 2.32 release works fine as well.

A G3 iMac 400… did you run Blender without problems in Jaguar or previous OS X installations? The only thing I know of that may cause problems with older Macs in the video card. The VRAM must be a minimum of 8MB for Blender to run at all. On models with 16MB of VRAM, the monitors settings must be at “Thousands of Colors” instead of “Millions” because Blender’s OpenGL usage and OS X’s Quartz Extreme usage compete with each other, but this is only a problem on Macs with 16MB of VRAM. It doesn’t affect the models with 8MB or 32MB or 64MB or 128MB…

If the VRAM isn’t the issue I’m not sure what to recommend except a clean reinstall of Panther. I found that “upgrading” 10.2.x to 10.3 without a clean install lead to overall system problems that were resolved with a clean installation. But even with the problems it didn’t affect Blender…

i had unexpected crashes on an imac G3-350 runnig jaguar. i also think that the video-ram issue may be the reason. (un)fortunately i can’t reproduce those crashes any more, because the imac’s monitor gave up it’s life :slight_smile:

Ah, there’s the problem there - I’m on one of the older 4MB VRAM Macs. No matter, I’m due and upgrade quite soon, in time for going to University.
Thanks for the help, at least now I can stop trying to hack a fix and focus on my studying :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

Actually, I have a 400mhz indigo iMac DV from 2000 with 8MB VRAM, and I have to change to Thousands of Colors to get Blender to run as well, so it does affect maybe some 8mb Maccers…

Could be… but I can’t reproduce it on an “old” iMac or a G3 iBook with 8MB of VRAM. It’s probably a good idea for the older machines with lower VRAM to be running at “Thousands” under Jaguar and Panther, anyway. The lower setting sometimes helps with overall system performance because it lessens the graphics load on the the processor. When Quartz Extreme can’t run (as on an 8MB graphics card) the CPU has to handle the fancy graphics so things should be a little snappier with the “Thousands” setting.

Aha. I just tested it in thousands of colours, and it works!
Thanks a lot :slight_smile: