Paraview to Blender

(CeresPluto) #1

First of all thank you for reading this post. I would like to improve the artistic result of a fluid representation previously made in Paraview just using Blender. So, how you would export my results from paraview to Blender and then get how to good results.
I was told that exists one vtk to Blender script made by cwant.
Do you know how to export the result from Paraview to Blender?
Thanks again

(Meta-Androcto) #2

hi, i have imported as a .ply.
however it only imports points, no vertices, no faces.

(matmdx) #3

Hi!

From Paraview you can export your fluid to an x3d file, and then import it to Blender via this importer:
- website
- blendernation thread

Vertex coloring, which is used by Paraview, is taken in account by the importer.
You’ll maybe have to do some adjustments to your Blender scene (objects orientation, material corrections, etc.), but your fluid mesh will be very well imported.

– Matt

(CeresPluto) #4

What do you mean with some adjustments? can you tell me more?

object orientation is a bad new…

(matmdx) #5

Hi!

Those adjustments are really no biggies:

• in the x3d format, the axe that points upwards is Y, whereas in Blender it’s Z. The importer does the conversion so that the x3d top remains the Blender top. But Paraview doesn’t seem to do so. So there maybe a 90° rotation of your objects, which is kind of easy to correct :slight_smile:
  • material corrections: if Paraview exports some vertexcolor data, when you render your fluids in Blender, those maybe in conflict with your materials settings: you just have to be aware of that, and if you want to have a uniform colored fluid you’ll have to delete the vertex colors. That’s all.

Nothing here that would stop you from using this process. :wink:

– Matt

(CeresPluto) #6

Hi, thanks matmdx and the rest of people who replied to my question.
So the importer is in his alpha version. That means that I will have some big problems:
I mean, vertexcolor and object orientation.

The issue is that I have an ammount of .X3D (probably more than 1500) and i would like to use blender to render that (instead paraview, I supposse that the render of Blender is better and I could manage with refractions for the fluid for example).
The issue is that if i have to change 2 “little” things in each “frame” manually… it won’t be automatically. (I mean, i just need to write one script who exports from paraview all the frames to X3D and render that in blender (with your script and without the gui, just in command line). I am thinking in using other render engine like Indigo.

Do you know any other “cool” render engine?

thanks in advice

(matmdx) #7

Hi!

The status “alpha” of the importer isn’t relevant here: I put that because there isn’t likely a lot of people using it, so I haven’t received a lot of feedbacks telling me it was bugless (I use it and it works perfectly every time). It will become a final release within this month, likely without any modifications.

Both vertexcolors and orientation issues can be solved by modifying the script:

• orientation: after line 2245 : just add this line to disable the orientation conversion
return lst
  • vertexcolors: in fact I’m not sure there is a probem: do you want to render with or without vertexcoloring?

About Indigo, if you have 1500 frames to render, I would strongly recomand you to reconsider this choice: an Indigo render takes a lot of time to be good (like 5 to 30 hours, depending on your model complexity, per frame)!!

What are you exactly trying to do? A fluid animation?
I think using a modified script to import your x3d files and render them automatically is doable.

– Matt

(YB_Tech) #8

Hello CeresPluto,
I have managed to fix my VTK library to be able to try out the VTK_to_Blender demo. It works nice for me, however, I am at the point to try and write the Import script and how it can use the VTKBlender script.
If you have any ideas or would like to share some, let me know. I am also using ParaView.

(kikislater) #9

Hi,

Can you help me to install it on Ubuntu Lucid 10.04 please ?
I put the VTKBlender.py under ~/.blender/scripts, trying to add this :

VTK_ROOT = /usr/local/lib/python2.6/dist-packages
LIBRARY_OUTPUT_PATH = /usr/local/lib/python2.6/dist-packages
PATH_TO_VTKBlender_MODULE = ~/.blender/scripts
import sys
sys.path.append($VTK_ROOT)
sys.path.append(${LIBRARY_OUTPUT_PATH})
sys.path.append(${PATH_TO_VTKBlender_MODULE})

but it doesn’t work !

Can you help me ?

Thanks
Sylvain

(fab6) #10

Hi,

I am trying to render the imported vrml file, which I exported in paraview. In ‘potato’ mode I am able to see the ‘texture’ (which is a pressure distribution for this case). Unfortunately, I am not able to see anything of the texture, when I render the current scene :frowning:

Does anyone have a hint, how I see the texture from the vrml import? As I read above, I might have to play around with materials…
Maybe, it has something to do with the fact, that the actual object is not the ‘parent’ in the object outliner!?

Best Regards!

(roul) #11

Hi all,

This thread is quite old, but it seems that the problem still remain in blender 2.5.
I tried today the x3d importer from the Paraview x3d exporter.
I was not able to get the colored surface, although the geometry was correct.
I was using paraview 3.12 and blender2.59
Any hints on this?
The links mentioned above are dead by the way.

Thanks!

(roul) #12

My mistake…
It actually works perfectly well!