Parenting Objects to Vertices

(Bandar) #1

is it possible to parent an object to a vertice (or vertice group)?

I just wonder how to put some eyes in a head, when they are different objecs an should be animated. How do I attach the eyes that they follow the movement of the head?

(ReeVee) #2

Select First Object
Shift Select second Object
Tab to Edit mode
Select Vertice or Vertices
Ctl PKEY
Make Vertice Parent

(Duoas) #3

You’d be better off parenting the eyes directly to a bone in the armature.

(ROUBAL) #4

Two things to know about Vertex Parent :

If you parent to One vertex, the child object will follow the displacement only.

If you parent to 3 vertice, the child object will follow both displacement and rotation.

Philippe.

(Bandar) #5

Thanks for the tips.

I guess the only way to parent an object to vertices is through a bone?

(Duoas) #6

Er, no. See ReeVee’s post above. The first object is the one you want to follow vertices, the second is the one with the vertices.

(Bandar) #7

That’s clear. But if I want some vertices to follow an object, then I have to use a bone. Right?

(ROUBAL) #8

Hi! You said:

That’s clear. But if I want some vertices to follow an object, then I have to use a bone. Right?

This is unclear!

What you say is true only within an armature. In the case of an armature, each group of vertice of the body mesh follow a bone, but it has nothing to do with your question which was about vertex parent.

Vertex parent is not for making some vertice to follow an object, but for an object to follow some vertice of an other object!

I do not see what you could do with a bone here…

If you really want some vertice to follow an object (for a deformation of the mesh), you have to select the vertex or group of vertice you want to move, and hit CTRL+H.

You will see a menu which allow you to create a Hook. It is a special Empty used for mesh deformation.

hope this helps.

Philippe.

(Bandar) #9

Yes it is :wink: And it works perfectly.

I was just wondering, how to do it the other way around (parent an object to some vertices). And you answered that as well. Didn’t know what hooks are for, before. Thanks for that, too. So now everthing is clear. Really! :wink: