Parrenting particles

I know this has probably been answered somewhere but I can’t find it. I made an hour glass and am using dupliverted cubes as particles for the sand. An empty is the parent of the hourglass body and the particle emitter mesh. Trouble is that whenever I try to move the empty, the emitter mesh moves with it but the particles continue to animate in the same place that they were created. How do I get them to follow the hourglass?

So you want to tweak reality, no? Wouldn’t it be better do adjust the parameters of your scene to come closer to reality?

You could make the sand fall quicker or deflect from the hourglass to prevent the sand from going through the glass.

Not sure if I understood you correctly though…

Tweking reality is a good analogy for what I’m doing, it’s sort of a “Cheating Death” theme. I want to make the hour glass fly around a tomb stone but the particles will not follow the hour glass when I move it. They keep animating in the same place that they were created even though their emmiter mesh is parrented to, and follows, the null that is in controll of the hour glass body. In other words, they will not follow their emitter mesh.

If I understand correctly, your solution is very simple.

In the “Particles” tab/panel, there is a tan button named “RecalcAll.”
Press it, and your problem should vanish.

The particle paths have to be calculated and “baked” for blender to show them. The different effects and physics have to be applied, and then recorded until different settings are changed.
In the case of moving the emitter mesh, the particle system does not always update the particle paths, therefore the particles do not move with the mesh.
The “RecalcAll” button forces the particles to be recalculated, hence the name.

I hope this helps you in your creation.

Bluey

or if you have a bazillion gigs of ram, you could set it up as a GE physics simulation…but then again it wouldn’t be animatable after the physics is converted to IPOs.

Thanks for the replies guys, I had forgotten about the recalc all button 'cuz I haven’t used blender in a while. It’s funny that you should mention a physics simulation, dschnell289, 'cuz I am debation on whether or not to add a particle accellerator to my animation. Anyone know whether or not particles will follow a lattice in a centrifugal manner if I set the lattice up in a circular/tubular fashion? Sorry, but I’m kinda lazy about trying this one "cuz my confidence is not high for this one actually working.

Um… Just a thought - How about INSTEAD of particles, make a thin mesh cone with a texture of really small clouds mapped to alpha and animate the zLoc of the texture to make it look like falling sand?

No particles, no worries !!!

Thanks, Ammusionist, very cool idea and I will definitely use it in the future, but on this one I already went a different route. I just used a camera fly thru, burried the hourglass in the plot beneath the tombstone and have the sand escaping through the top of the hourglass base, it’s sort of like a soul escaping the grave.

Rambo,
As far as I know Lattices will not loop the particles indefinitly since the particles would stop flowing in a circle once they reached the end of the lattice.

What you could do is determine how many times you want the particles to loop, and then loop the lattice or “curve-guide curve” that many times.

Bluey