Particle animation and raytracing

How do I get particles to appear in raytracing? For example, if the particles pass behind a glass object, they will not appear, while the scenery behind the particles can still be seen. It’s like the particles can’t be detected by raytracing… does anyone have a solution?

Please be more specific. Do you mean dupliverted particles or halo paricles?

Asuming you mean halo particles, the answer is that halos are inserted at render time in a seperate pass, and since they are not actual objects, they aren’t detected by raytracing. So, there is no solution.

Dupliverted particles work just fine w/ raytraced objects, and they even work in YAFRay.

d_m

If dupliverted particles means particles emitted from an object’s vertexes, then that is what I’m talking about. They just don’t appear in the render (yes, I do have raytracing turned on)

Dupliverted particles means using objects in place of the particles (as in NOT using halos).

Halos won’t show in raytracing.

Martin

I think you are misunderstanding me.

Halo Particles- The default particles. The material color influences a blob that can be changed using the Halo option. Each halo coresponds to one particle. It’s what is used for making fire, smoke, fireworks, fur, grass, etc…

Dupliverted Particles- You make the emittor the parent of an object, and switch on the dupliverts option in the animation settings panel. This causes a copy of the object that is the child of the emittor to replace the standard “halo particle”.

d_m

Is there any plan to implement halos with raytracing?

This would be VERY VERY useful.

Does this mean you could make something like a model of…errr…an eyeball for example, then when you make it the child of the emitter, the emitter will then spit out eyeballs?

yes :slight_smile: