Particle Edit mode for Hair. Glitched in 2.68?

I’m trying to get into particle edit mode to ‘style’ hair in 2.68a (Windows).

It seems to me to be broken…

As soon as you drop into ‘Particle Edit’, the hair moves and/or lengthens from it’s original position.
You can edit it sure, but go back into object mode and it will revert to something else entirely.

Setting up a full physics simulation and ‘baking’ the hair doesn’t seem to help either, dropping
into particle edit mode again messes up.

I’m hoping I’m missing something obvious.

Here’s a quick example. Try going into ‘Particle Edit’ from this blend file…

HairGlitch.blend (1.48 MB)

Can anyone tell me what I’m doing wrong?

Thanks. G.

You need to set a vertex group for Density as well as Length to keep the placement correct. Assigning the Hair group to Density of course alters the appearance of the system, but it stays in the right place then. You can either use this group and adjust the other settings to correct, or create a second vertex group with lighter weights for the same vertices.

Thanks K.

That solves the problem in my ‘simple example’. But wouldn’t you know it, has no obvious effect in the .blend I initially
tripped over the problem with. I’ll try comparing all the particle settings between the two.

Hey Grey32, I just stumbled upon the same thing.
I can’t guarantee you that this will help you, but it worked for me by checking “Use Modifier Stack” under “Emission” in the “Particle” area.

I hope it helps if you still got the same problem.