Particle emitters as particle objects?

Hey everyone!

I recently ran into a question again that bugged me already a while back.

Is it possible to have the emitter of a particle systems be the object visualization of a source particle system?

Here’s what I’m trying to do: I have a video shot that looks towards the sky. Now, I want an armada of space ships fly through the scene.

The basic idea is to set up a particle emitter outside the scene and use the Object visualization to let each particle be in instance of a prepared space ship model. This works pretty good, so far. The impression of a large number of space ships and the variance in speed is ok.

But what it lacks, are the engine effects. So I prepared another particle system inside the ship’s engine exhaust that creates a very nice engine effect.

The only problem, is that I can’t get that particle system duplicated on the generated ship models.

Any ideas?

Thanks a lot in advance!

See ya,

Axel

This tutorial has what you want: http://wiki.blender.org/index.php/Tutorials/Particles-FireworksIt’s fireworks, but it’d be very close for rockets.

I have found that particle systems can’t instance other particle systems correctly in blender. They always end up at 0,0,0.

See attached BLEND file.

You will have to do the engine effect in a secondary pass if you plan on deriving the effect from particles.

Attachments

particle_bug.blend (649 KB)

Thanks for the link, but that’s not exactly what I was looking for. That tutorial uses the same system that “emits” the rockets to create the smoke trail.

In my case, I want particles emitters inside the engine exhausts that create a conic shaped glow. That doesn’t work like in the tutorial.

See ya,

Axel