Particle Explode Modifier Won't Reverse With Time IPO?

Hi All,

I pulled down the example BLEND file that demonstrates how to explode a cube.

I thought the time IPO could be used to reverse the explosion and have the particles fly from off screen and form the cube? But this does not appear to work correctly. The particle cache gets all messed up.

Can someone take a look at this BLEND file?

Press play and you will se the explosion works fine.
Then go to the IPO window and add a time IPO in reverse, from 100 to 0 and you will see the explosion no longer works. I even tried clearing the cache and deleting the cache.

Attachments

Exploding_Cube.blend (431 KB)

Yeah, I’m thinking that’s not really possible in Blender … at least not until 2.50 maybe (I believe I remember a dev video showing it or mentioning it?).

More and more every time I come up with a concept, Blender just can’t do it. Even simple stuff, like this, for example.

Oh yeah, I forgot 2.5 is going to fix everything:rolleyes:

Let me ask another question, what if 2.5 does not fix this? Then what? Wait 5-6 months for someone else to bump into the same problem, then a bug report gets filed. And maybe if Jahka feels it is worth fixing he might address it?

How does that solve my problem of needing to do it today?

That’s life in the world of open source 3D today.

Oh yeah, I forgot 2.5 is going to fix everything:rolleyes:

Never said that, never would.

Let me ask another question, what if 2.5 does not fix this? Then what? Wait 5-6 months for someone else to bump into the same problem, then a bug report gets filed. And maybe if Jahka feels it is worth fixing he might address it?

Yup.

How does that solve my problem of needing to do it today?

It doesn’t … you may have to look at other options.

BTW: You can drop the negativity … may help to readjust your expectations for this powerful (but imperfect) software delivered to all of us by many hard-working volunteer developers.

Yeah, I guess I get too excited about the possibilities.

More mud on my face.:frowning:

You’re not alone. I think that’s now one of the biggest challenges for Blender … it’s slowly overcoming the ‘it’s free so it can’t be that good’ perception, but now has to deal with ‘it is so good overall, I can’t believe it lacks some (seemingly) basic functionality’. This affects newcomers and longtime users alike.

… and don’t worry, mud comes off pretty easy. :slight_smile:

why dont you use the build modifier?

The build modifier won’t fly in from off screen, a reversed explosion will. It just means more work, render it out, run it backwards. But them I’m compositing, not animating. I prefer to do as much inside Blender as possible.