particle gravity/weight

Hi, I’m using the latest version of Blender for Windows and I was wondering if there is any way to give Particles a weight or have them be affected by gravity so that I can have them emit in a horizontal direction but as they travel out they will fall in a vertical direction. I’ve only been using Blender for about a week so please make the explanation detailed if this is possible.

Also I would like to know how to make other objects (mesh cubes, spheres, etc.) be emitted from either an empty or something else. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

hi,

for your first question go to the window where you can change the particle settings (press f7) and then at the bottom right of the right hand part of the window (under the ‘normal’ tab) there will be three sliders: x. y. and z. Each affect in which direction the particle will go and with what magnitude they will go in that direction. if you are in side or front view, then the ‘z’ value will be up and down. put it to a negative value to simulate gravity.

for the second question i am not sure what you mean but if you mean that instead of prticles you want objects, then do this: make the particle emitter the parent of the object (select the object and while holding shift, select the emitter. then press ctrl-p). Then go to the window where you can change the particle settings (press f7) and in the right hand part of this window press the dupliverts button. That should do the trick. you might want to reduce the number of particles (objects) in your emitter because everything can get very slow if there are too many and if the object is a bit complex.

thats it :smiley: . good luck and happy blending,

Djurre

Well, the second answer was perfect! It was exactly what I was looking for, but the first one still doesn’t get the desired effect. Maybe I can be more specific…

If I wanted the particles to be emitted in the positive Z direction but then as time passed for them to fall in the negative Z direction is there some way to have this happen? I am looking for an effect similar to throwing confetti in the air and then having it fall back to the ground… I can’t seem to figure out how to make this work.

Thanks for the quick response though and I much appreciate it!

points the emitter up (normals pointing upward), use a little NORM, and a Z force negative greater than the NORM value.

That should work.

Martin

That’s perfect!!! Thanks for helping!!