Particle hair 'glows' regardless of material

Hello all…I’ve chosen a rather ambitious project for my first blender undertaking, and until now I’ve been having a great amount of success, thanks to the massive amount of support available online. But I’ve run into a problem that I can’t seem to find any information on. No matter what type of material, lighting, or settings I try to apply to a hair particle system, the hair ‘glows’ when rendered…it is extremely bright, as if it were overexposed, even with no specularity, no reflection, no mirror, nothing. In fact, if I apply any type of material to the hair, it even glows when there are no lights rendered in the scene with it! If the hair is rendered with no material and no lights, there is no glow (nothing at all visible), but if there is even the slightest light present with no material on the hair, the glow returns, in the silvery-gray object color. I even tried starting from scratch, creating the most basic particle hair possible…just adding a mesh then emitting hair from it…SAME result. I can’t seem to find any information on this problem. Hopefully someone has experience with this occurrence, because its become utterly frustrating to come this far and be stopped dead.

I would be happy to provide any further info you might need.