Particle Position Puzzle

I’m trying to make a stream of particles. As seen in the left of the attached image, when I make them at the origin, 0,0,0 I get a nice stream. Then I move the emitter in Y and I get the result on the right of the attached image, which looks like a small galaxy. No changes were made except changing the position of the emitter in Y.

Does anyone understand why this happens and how to prevent it?

Are you using some kind of force fied or did you animate the rotation of the emitter?

No force fields, no rotation of the emitter.

I have discovered something though. When I use the Esc key to stop the simulation playing, or if I drag the current frame indicator along the Timeline I get the misshaping. If I use the playback controls in the Timeline, I do not. So I guess that’s the workaround.

So, how do you get the paticles to make this curve in the first image?

I have discovered something though. When I use the Esc key to stop the simulation playing, or if I drag the current frame indicator along the Timeline I get the misshaping. If I use the playback controls in the Timeline, I do not. So I guess that’s the workaround.

Ah, you´re dragging the timeline. If you drag the timeline blender doesn´t bake the particles it just estimates where they might be at a certain time. If you drag the slider too fast the estimates are very bad.
You have to bake the particles to get a correct result.

I set the Velocity of the Emitter Object to 30 in Y, similar to how you would do to make a fountain.

Heh, I see, the particles are going downwards because of gravity. When I looked at the image the last time it looked like they were making a curve on the xy axis, you know, like they were comming to the front.