Particle System

I am trying to recreate a big bang effect and I need my particles to stop traveling at some point and just hang in space like stars in the sky. How do I get the patrticles to stop moving so that I can fly thru the resulting galaxy with the camera? By the way, every thing else is really looking good at this point. Please help, Thanx.

I don’t know that it can be done with regular particles, allthough the testing build with the explode patch does a similar thing, but dices up your mesh instead of emitting regular particles… anyway, I would try using the push/pull function on actual objects. shift-P activates push/pull, which is like scaling, but it doesn’t make your objects bigger, it just scales everything away from each other, like raisins in a loaf of raisin bread ( that is rising ).

I’m using objects as particles, 10 ring x 10 ring uvspheres parrented to an icosphere with 2 subdivisions, rendered in shaded wireframe mode to simulate a digital galaxy with 1000’s of stars. The effect is amazing and looks just like I had imagined it except for the constant expansion. I think I could spend months working on this as individual objects and still not have it look as good as the galaxy that the particle system makes within seconds. Is there a way to stop these uvsphere particles/objects from expanding outward or are they no different from regular particles in the end?

Use a Time IPO on the Emitter mesh.

%<

Thanx Flight,
I had just located that in the help files and you beat me to posting the reply. Thanx again!

OK, so now I have my starfield rendered, but there has got to be an easier way to go about it!

Here is what I did: Once the particle system/starfield was created I added a time IPO to it. I had to choose Constant as my interpolation method in order to freeze the particles at my chosen point in time, which happened to be the 175th frame. In order for my project to animate, I had to insert individual keyframes at each of the previuos 174 frames. Doing this by hand was aggravating to say the least.

(I would have probably been better off rendering the first 175 frames as linear, then changing the interpolation to constant, next rendering my camera flythru on the remaining 150 frames, and finally editing the two animations together, but I didn’t think of that at the time.)

Is there any way to make the first part of the interpolation linear and the second part of the interpolation constant? Or, alternately, is there a method for auto inserting keyfreames at specified intervals between two existing keyframes? (In my case that would be an insertion at every frame between the 1st and 175 frames.) I tried border selecting key frames, but all keys of the time IPO were selected every time, disallowing the option of changing it that way.

Any other recomendations you guys can give that will make my life easier would be greatly appreciated.
Thanx

No, no no. You need a Time IPO with only ONE point, the Y value would be the frame where you want it to freeze, just set the X value to 0 and you have particles frozen in place from frame 1 to infinity. Might have to play with the Y value to get it to just the right point but it’ll make your life alot easier then what your doing now.

This can make rather interesting cloud effects aswell, if I could only figure out the alpha problems I’m having.

I understand that, the problem that I’m having is getting the particles to animate up to a certain point in time and then freeze without having to add an excessive number of keyfraqmes by hand. The scenario is an explosion of particles out to 7 seconds, then freeze, then flythru the frozen particle field with the camera for the next 6 seconds. I got it to work, I was just hoping that there was a much faster and easier way to do it than any of the ways that I had mentioned above.

Ahh ok I misunderstood you, sorry about that. :expressionless:

Wouldn’t it be easier to just make the explosion shot in one file and then save the frozen one in another file then just put the two together?

Ha Ha!, I figured it out. Curve > Extend Mode > Constant.

Yeah I thought about that while at work, glad I didn’t have to dig out the manual to quote, sorry about the lame suggestions, I should refer to the manual first instead of writing off the top of my head. :expressionless: :expressionless:

The Time IPO is one solution. It does give you more control, and is good if you want things to suddendly stop, then speed back up again, etc.

If you just want the particles to explode really fast, and then slow down, and then stop, I would just change the dampanening parameter of the particle movement. No IPO wierdness.

How do you stick multiple meshes (from different files) or different files into another file? I’ve been trying to figure that out…

P.S. Are we gonna see this Big Bang?

Shift+F1 to append from another .blend or select append from the file menu.

Actually the time IPO turned out to be fairly straight forward, once I got the hang of it. To prevent the particles from stopping suddenly, all I had to do was change the interpolation mode from linear to bezier. The combination really allows total controll over particle velocity. After all of that, I ended up using the linear mode anyway. It has given the animation a more surreal effect. I’m currently compositing it in After Effects with an echo effect, explosions, and other elements for a demo-reel. I’m hoping that I can get an internship somewhere with the finished high-def product. I’ll try to upload a scaled down snippet of it, if they give me permission to upload files that is. Sorry about the video quality, but the file size is large enough as it is (5.7MB).