Particles Emitting from Particles???

Hey all, I’m trying to figure out if there is a way to emit particles from an object that is being used as the visualization of another particle sim. Basically my current usage would be to have a particle trail left by each of the “parent” particle objects.

I’ve tried applying a particle system to an object and then using that object as the visualization of another particle system, but it only creates particles for the original object, not the ones being created in the Main particle sim.

Any help in figuring this out is greatly appreciated.

I’m hoping in the future there will be more options for child particles so that effects like this are easy to create.

Thanks in advance.

Well, I found the answer for doing this, and its actually much more robust than the previous way of doing it through child particles.

FYI, its done by creating a secondary particle system set to the “Reactor” type, and setting “React on” to “Near”. What’s really cool is you can have particles then reacting from the secondary particles on so on.
Can’t wait to start playing now!

Found a brief explanation here http://wiki.blender.org/index.php/Manual/Particles-Reactor.