Particles in wind hit the collision object but eventually fall through (beginner)

Hi, I’m working on an architectural project (actually an autumn scene) involving trees with falling leaves. I want to collect these leaves in some corners (where they are actually collected by the wind), and this collection actually works but leaves start to get through this test object (that has a 0 permeability).

1. What’s wrong with it?
  2. On a conceptual level is it the right way to have the leaves collected in corners and other places (to have a naturalist distribution), or there are better ways achieving it? (Except for manually painting them somewhere). I don’t need an animation, just a picture.

Thanks in advance

If you want to do it with the help of a simulation, I’d add some friction and dampening to the wall+floor…
This issues you have might possibly be because of your particle settings though. Try increasing the amount of sub frames, that usually helps with that sort of thing. If you want them to pile up, I’d use fluid particles instead of Newtonian… It requires some tweaking, but that should get you fairly close to what you want…

The Look ahead time is available only for boids, I use standard Newtonian dynamics. Making the obstacle object thicker didn’t solve the problem.
BTW it’s only the edge where the leaves leak, they don’t cross the surface.

Thanks

Are the wall and the ground the same object? Maybe subdividing it would help…
otherwise subframes is about the only thing the helps with that sort of thing…

With subdivision it’s the same :frowning:

BTW What I need is to make an autumn version of this scene and I thought that in spite of painting the leaves manually it would be nice (more natural and easier) to let them fall to the ground and be blown by the wind anywhere.

That is weird, because I’ve tried it on mine and it seems to work well with any major issues.
I do think you’ll be better off putting the leaves there manually. It’s a normal trap to fall into, thinking if you just let the simulation deal with it, it should also end up looking natural.

I do that to on a regular basis, but most of the time I just end up understanding how many variables that needs to be right for that to look good. How wind flips the leaves, how leaves get stuck in the grass or pile up… As you know already, simulations just tend to eat up time for the most part, especially when you have a hard time to get it to work…

I like you renders though, and if I may, I’d recommend you to move the car a little between the renders, seeing as it’s grabbing the attention of the view. (Is the car the main focus? Does the driver really park in the exact same spot the whole year)… That sort of thing…

As for the autumn leaves, there’s all sorts of methods you can use to achieve a nice enough effect…
One would be to use the grease scatter objects add-on that’s shipped with Blender. Just do a little doodle where you want the leaves with the grease pencil (make sure you’re drawing on the surface), and then add the group of objects you want it to scatter.

For the bigger piles I’d maybe just sculpt a basic sphere into something more natural looking and then use a nice leave texture on it and then for added realism I’d drop som leaves on top of it afterwards with particles.

At the end you could just manually place some leaves that are supposed to catch the eye more, like leaves flying past the camera or something like that…

1. I’ve played around Physics settings and have found a solution, by checking Size Deflect (BTW this way particles don’t affect each other, so the piling up at the border of the road is quite thin, but for now it’s enough. The particles also slide and bounce on the road, and interaction with the particle based grass will be also questionable).

1. This scene is a part of some sort of visualization of this housing estate (has more viewpoints), but the housing is under a complete redesign, and during it I’ve played a bit around putting the houses into different weather conditions the autumn (and the planned winter) scene is a part of this. The car itself (not mine, was downloaded from Andy Price) is just an addition to make the street not so empty.