Partilce effect animation

I’m trying to get a rocket engine blast to project straight behind the
rocket while the rocket follows a trajectory, but the particle effect
follows the rocket path rather than projecting straight behind when
the rocket is turning.

Any suggestions on how to get the blast to project straight behind
the rocket while it is turning on a path?

For your purposes, if the smoke is supposed to shoot straight out the back of the rocket, with no trailing movement at all, then you might be fine parenting it to the rocket. First try just adjusting the force directions in the particle motion tab and parenting the emitter to the rocket, shooting in the direction you want it, relative to the rocket.

Another possibility, if you don’t parent it to the rocket, woudl be to use an empty with a wind field on it in the appropriate direction that you want your smoke to blow. The empty would be parented to the rocket so that the “wind” follows the movement of the rocket.

For natural trailing smoke effects, there seem to be some problems parenting the smoke emitter itself to the object it’s supposed to follow. Which means that if you want the smoke to trail along the path that the rocket has taken, you’re probably going to wind up having to animate the smoke by keying its positions independently, rather than parenting it or constraining it to the rocket. This is kind of a bummer:

https://blenderartists.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=59727

Thanks for your suggestions. Could you please elaborate on how to
use an “empty” with a wind field on it to get the desired effect.

When I parent the particle emitter to the rocket the particles follow
the path of the rocket which means the short tail actually bends as the
rocket turns which doesn’t look too realistic.

On similar topic how would I get the emitted smoke to actually
remain along the path of the rocket , after it had passed, as one would see in skywriting.

Thanks for your suggestions. Could you please elaborate on how to
use an “empty” with a wind field on it to get the desired effect.

Actually, on second thought, I don’t think that will work for what you want. The way you would do it would be to create an empty, go to the “Fields and Deflection” panel and choose “Wind” from the fields drop down, then adjust the strength. But I think probably what you want is to adjust the force values on the particles themselves.

When I parent the particle emitter to the rocket the particles follow
the path of the rocket which means the short tail actually bends as the
rocket turns which doesn’t look too realistic.

Could you post the .blend file? I’d kind of like to see what you mean. But it sounds like one thing you probably should try is tweaking the force values on the particles.

As for a trail behind a skywriter, that’s kind of what that other thread I linked to is about. Basically what you need to do is make sure your particles’ lifespan is long enough (depending on how long you want the trail to be), and they should naturally trail behind a moving emitter. Several of us have been experiencing problems getting that working right when the emitters are parented, which is why I’d like to see what yours is doing.