I’m having a problem with two parts of my figure (toes) not attaching to their bones - I’ve deleted the rest of the figure because it is a proprietary item - would really appreciate someone taking a look at the .blend to see what the problem is.
Weight the correct vertices to the correct bones
If you’re getting mixed up just delete the whole weighting and start again.
Then methodically go through ALL bones to check their weighting is correct and adjust.
Don’t expect auto weighting is going to do all the magic, you need to do 80% of the effort in correcting any issues
Your vertex group names do not match the bones names exactly. Fix this and your problem is solved. (With a little new weight painting.)
Thank you both for your help - all working correctly now. Somehow in the setting up it seems the feet got crossed over, but the real issue was in the naming - toes.R vs toe.R and toe.L vs toe.l !
And no, I have rigged so many figures in other software that I did not expect automatic weighting to give me 100% first time - in fact it only gave me a reasonable approximation, as expected, and, as Richard correctly remarks, I did do most of the work myself - no problem with that - and there is still a lot of fine tuning to do, but I do now have a better understanding of the Blender method