Party Tug Remix (Make a Splash in Amsterdam)

Hi,

I’ve decided to give this challenge a try and recreate the splash screen from Blender 2.83 - Party Tug by Ian Hubert. I wanna remake it in a steampunk style. Not sure if I’ll be able to finish it by deadline, but it’s worth trying at least :slight_smile:

2 Likes

This sounds fantastic! Ian Hubert’s got lots of tutorials to help you out–for instance, he gets amazing results with low-quality scans of IRL people. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U1f6NDCttUY&list=PL4Dq5VyfewIxxjzS34k2NES_PuDUIjRcY

Yep, I love those 1 minute tutorials.

I’ll remember to add some moths for extra realism.

2 Likes

References

As always, I start the project looking for some reference images. I head over to Google Images.

I need some steampunk looking boats.

After a while I decide that flying airships are cooler and also fit with the steampunk theme I think.
I like the one on the right the most so that’s what I’ll mostly focus on.

I will probably need some characters to fill the scene. I used Google Images but also found Sketchfab to be a good resource of downloadable models. I imagine I won’t have time to create most of the models myself so downloadable models are a great help.

Screenshot_2

The second dog from the left looks pretty cool but I sadly I doubt I’ll have the time to model it myself.

Also I looked up some images of the environment to get a general feel of how should I fill the scene.

Most of them have this nice orange vibe which I like. Maybe I’ll do something similar.

This is what my PureRef reference file looks like together:

Usually I add some more specific images after I start modeling but for now it’ll do.
Anyway, it’s time to create the airship. It’s quite complex so it’ll probably take most of my time in this challenge.

Modeling the airship in progress. Still looks pretty rough, I try capturing the reference as best as I can but it can be difficult to distinguish the shapes from the reference as there’s so much going on.

One thing I found that helps is to simplify the image by making it black-white.

I think I can understand the shapes much better now. I’ll focus on creating the big shapes on the top part of the boat before I get lost in small details.

I’ve thrown in some CC0 human models for scale, and it turned out to be some ancient figure.
Made me think of how Ancient Greece would look like if they had airships and generally XIX century technology :smiley:

2 Likes

Almost done modelling the airship.

I think I’ll add some ropes and small details to this model and start texturing it, so that there’s some time to create the environment and the rest of the scene too hopefully :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Hey! As we’re entering the final days of the challenge, I’d like to give you some helpful tips to make sure you can successfully complete your entry. Please see my new post on the FAQ topic.

Hey! Just a quick reminder that there’s now less than 12 hours remaining to wrap up your challenge entry - submissions close at 2022-09-15T21:59:00Z, GMT+1 (click on the link for some international times).

If you haven’t done so already, please review this post which contains some essential information for preparing your submission.

At the very least, upload your work to Sketchfab as soon as possible and add the #bcon22challenge tag.

It’s also a good idea to add a link to your WIP topic in the description of your Sketchfab model so we can easily find it.

I’ll also keep a close eye on the FAQ topic today, so if you have any issues or questions please post it there as soon as possible.

Good luck!

Sure I’m almost done :slight_smile:

1 Like

I finished my entry! And uploaded it 10 minutes before time lool. It’s been crazy weeks i can finally go sleep xD

2 Likes

I am not totally satisfied as I wanted to create a much more complex environment but I ran out of time :smiley: still I’m happy I took part in this challenge, the entries look amazing.

1 Like