Path Animation, terrain constrain?

I was wonder weather if there was a feature in blender to contrain a path to the flow of a certain mesh, such as terrain. Or to atleast constrain the object you have on the path to follow the curves of the terrain.

Example, I have my brand new bumpy terrain terrain, and I want to move a vehicle through it easily without it clipping throught the mesh of the terrain. Is there any way this is possible to do easily with or without paths? Or do I have to do it the hard way and have to move the object to the flow of the terrain each keyframe.

“Example, I have my brand new bumpy terrain terrain, and I want to move a vehicle through it easily without it clipping throught the mesh of the terrain. Is there any way this is possible to do easily with or without paths? Or do I have to do it the hard way and have to move the object to the flow of the terrain each keyframe.”

Also is there any way to “apply” what has been done, so I can add more character to movement once the object is flowing with the terrain?

Also, I have trouble figuring out how to get objects to move through the world. Of course I know all about paths, but I do not have very much control as far as stopping midpath and then moving again goes. Is there any way to get some for of advanced control over paths, or are there better ways of animating things going through space without paths? I am open to all options.

Actually, the easiest way instead might be to use the game engine to record an IPO curve. Here’s a quick test I did (hope it’s viewable)
Explore David Townsend

A good guide is here: http://mediawiki.blender.org/index.php/BSoD/Introduction_to_the_Game_Engine.
I suggest having a VERY simple (invisible) base mesh for the actual physics part, and have your vehicle parented to that. With tweaking, you can probably get it to animate more like an actual vehicle.
I think I read something about wheel physics or something included in the game engine, but I don’t know much about that. That may help to more accurately animate wheel rotation (and maybe suspension) but I don’t know much about it.

??? SCNR :wink:

If you’ve already inserted an actual path object, it has a speed ipo curve. Select the path, open an ipo editor window.
Select the ipo type path. Modifiy the speed curve to your liking. It’s not the speed though, it’s the position along the curve. The speed would be the derivative of the speedcurve.

If you’ve used another curveobject you have to insert a speed ipo curve. To do that simply Ctrl-Leftclick in the ipo editor window.