Paths in Game Engine

Hi,

I’ve read that paths cannot be followed in the Game Engine. Does that still apply?

Here’s what I’m trying to do – maybe there’s a simpler way.

1. Drop 180 Go stone pieces into a bowl. This should result in the bowl being filled (overflowing, even) up with “randomly” distributed stones. (Go stone.)

2. Drop a Go stone on the Go board. This entails picking a stone from the bowl and having it follow a path until it is slightly above the Go board. Then use the Game Engine to drop the stone on the board (which will set the stone upon the surface). The Game Engine should also cause the remaining stones in the bowl to shift as a result of a stone being removed from the bowl.

3. Repeat for an entire recorded game of Go. This will effectively “re-enact” the game that was played.

Step 3 is relatively easy, using Python.

Step 1 is easy enough: create an array of 180 stones, split them into separate objects, assign them unique IPOs (painful, but not daunting). Then do it twice (black and white stones).

Step 2 is difficult because Go games have an average of 200 moves. It’s also difficult because the Game Engine and Paths don’t play together. The solution I could get working would be to write some Python that calculates the parabolic path from bowl to board, and then craft the IPOs. That strikes me is a bit tricky, as I would also have to rotate the stone as it moves from the bowl to the board (to orient it such that it is placed neatly on the board).

Any ideas on how to make Step 2 work would be greatly appreciated.