PBR "Metalness" workflow in Blender. Possible?

Got to make use of SP, I textured a drone by Chris Kuhn using it and it was an absolute doddle!
Perfect for the metalness PBR with complex surfaces.

1 Like

@norka no problem brother. Glad I could help.
@colcai that looks very clean and interesting.

Thank, it’s available over at Blendswap if you want to check out the texture maps.

1 Like

What is the best image format to save maps into. Is for example jpg superior to png or vice versa? And why?

PNG is definitely superior to jpg, plus with 32-bit you can use embedded alpha channels for it. JPG by it’s nature is lossy.

@colkali Thanks buddy. So PNG is superior. Ok, good to know. What about Tiff?

Not sure to be honest, as PNG can be saved as 16-bit and also is supposed to be lossless. Though I did read that TIFF can contain layers, which, as far as I know, PNG can’t.

sea creature.tif (3.8 MB)

I did a little test on a sea nymph Im working on for my portfolio to jump up and look for studios I would like to work for. The top one is TIFF, and the second jpg. There is a huge difference in size, and TIFF looks very jiggy once uploaded, and seen at close quarters. See for yourself. But yes, you can save layers on TIFF etc. I have to dig deeper as it is important to me what extension does what:)

I’m surprised TIFF is jagged as it’s lossless. Did you alter the settings at all? By default, it does compress when saving in Blender as 8-bit. Try 16-bit with no compression, though the file size should go with it being uncompressed.

no I left them as they were, but I did perserve layers option, in this case 1 or two. The Tiff became 3.6 MB, and jpg 228 kb. It makes a huge diffrence if you have 10 or 100 of them, as maps for instance.

Mm, ok, Ill try. Cool!

Yeah, I am the same with JPg vs PNG, I try to steer a line between quality and space. For textures which aren’t critical and low quality, I’ll go with jpg and 1k, but for others I’ll use 2k or 4k with PNG. I admit, I don’t have any hard and fast rules, as a hobbyiat, It’s just a perosnal thing on a scene by scene basis.

Hi, I’m not sure if this is the right topic but might be closest. I would like to preview my models in Blender 2.79 with PBR Metallic/Roughness setup, so I installed Khronos’ glTF2 node group. (followed the guide). However, it seems my metallic and roughness is not displaying properly in Rendered preview. I created my texture maps separately then merged them into one with the correct channels in the guide. Yet it does look uniform rough and absolutely non-metallic :frowning:
Here is what I mean:

The rings and the tip of the spear should be metallic, like here (from Sketchfab, uses some post effects):

Can anyone suggest what should I do to achieve a similar look? (Without post effects)

Use the Principled BSDF node instead of the gltf node.

Use an hdr environment map as world background so the object has something to reflect, metallic parts can’t look right without reflections.

This makes sure that you have a correct world setup and the textures are fine.

After you get it look right you can get back to the gltf node. Click on the icon in the top right corner of the gltf node to see what is done inside. Then you can figure out how to use it for yourself. For example, how does the MetallicFactor and the RoughnessFactor alter the values sampled from the texture? You can only tell if you look inside and play with the slider.

1 Like

Thank you very much!

This is what you’re looking for. The reason it looks off is several things, but the specular value is set to 0 instead of the default .5 in that node group. I still haven’t figured out if that’s on purpose or just a mis-understanding of the BSDF or some export issue they solved that way instead.

1 Like

Hi sirmaxim, thanks for the help! I recreated your node setup with the ORM texture and the HDRI environment background and it looks much better!

looks fantastic!!!