PBR Painter 2.0 has now been released, encompassing all of the great features from v1 with a bunch of cool new features and a brand new, more efficient design.
If you haven’t heard of PBR Painter before, it is a simple yet powerful addon designed to enable quick and easy PBR texture painting within Blender. It uses a layer-based, multichannel painting approach which lets you paint all of the channels of a PBR material (albedo, roughness, displacement, normals etc.) simultaneously. Materials can be created from scratch, by importing pre-made PBR texture maps, and/or by generating procedural textures separately for each channel.
PBR Painter automatically generates and manages complex node setups, giving you complete control over every aspect of every channel, allowing you to combine normals of stacked layers, create highly customisable layer masks, control the opacity of any channel of any layer and much more. This gives you complete freedom over all aspects of the material properties, without ever having to manually create a single node.
Some of the new features in v2.0 include:
- Major overhaul of addon for a general improvement to performance and efficiency
- Restructured UI for an even more intuitive and more user-friendly interface
- Brand new mask creation tool, which uses a layered system to build complex and highly-specific masks (this is my new favourite feature!)
- More options for each specific mask (which can individually be added to the layered setup)
- New displacement threshold mask, which applies a mask according to the displacement of previous layers (very cool!)
- New automated external texture saving after baking using a user-defined file directory (bolded for importance!)
- New option to use a custom layer, which lets you build your own layer from scratch using your own node setups, which can then be painted as a layer as per normal (important for advanced users who need highly specific node setups)
- New copy/paste functions for procedural texture setups, for copying between channels and/or between layers
- New and improved texture autosaving feature
Some of the new features coming soon in v2.1:
- New option to automatically import a complete set of material textures into multiple channels simultaneously with a single click (done in the alpha version)
- New option to instantly link multiple channels to the layer mask automatically and simultaneously, speeding up the procedural workflow (done in the alpha version)
- Brand new preset masks, already setup to achieve complicated and customisable masks (e.g. scratches, grunge etc.) (partially completed in the alpha version)
You can checkout the new 8-part tutorial series here: https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLMN9uGgVtpSscoajBOGUFQfTt4Khq94yH
Some example screenshots and renders from PBR Painter: