Peacock Spider (Maratus Volans) Course WIP in Blender 2.8 & Eevee

Ahoy mateys!

Here is a work in progress of a course I am currently working on using 100% Blender 2.8 & Eevee. Its no quite finished yet, I am going to do the animation part of of the course next.

6 Likes

Searching in Google and Youtube… This little funny spider actually exists! :smiley:
Well done!

1 Like

Looking great! You going to animate him to the YMCA Village People music like the famous YouTube Peacock Spider video? :slight_smile:

1 Like

Thank you :slight_smile:
Yes they are very real! Jumping spiders account for 15% of all spiders (various species). These little spiders aren’t like the typical spiders. They don’t make web to catch prey, instead they use it as a lifeline to not kill themselves when they jump leaps of faith :stuck_out_tongue:
They also dance for their lives. They dance to either mate with a female, get rejected or get eaten as a snack by the female.
The females aren’t as colorful and don’t have abdomen flaps like the male does.
They also sing, just can’t hear it. But they produce various vibrations using both their abdomen and their legs. Which is also part of their courtship dance.
Fascinating isn’t it :stuck_out_tongue:

Thank you :slight_smile:
I will not animate using WMCA song no, lol, but goo idea.
I am animating yes, but I am not going to copy anything that exist. Its just to teach the basics of animation as a continuity to my course (Yes its all recorded :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye: )

1 Like

Added video time laps in the first post of the overall part 1 covering of the course so far.

Here is a quick render of the scene where I am animating my Peacock Spider. Currently have the animation blocking done. From here on its polishing. Nearly finished! All recorded since the very beginning. Will make a complete beginner course from this!

1 Like

Howdy mate!

1 Like

Here is a quick test animation to test the spider rig and the environment, I am fairly happy with the results. I need to tweak the foliage movements.

1 Like

Like the spider!

You say this will be a course? I’d be interested in following it to see how you created and animated the spider, especially the hair and animation. Any info yet on when this will be out and how much?

In case anyone wants to know more about Peacock Spiders…

@CGMoth
Thanks! Yes it’ll be a complete course covering every steps from start to final result. I am hoping to release for mid April or so at around $25 - $35 or so. I hope I can release then, but with young kids life is full of surprises. Trying hard for mid April though. I just got the voice track finalized today so I’ll be starting the final animation tonight.