Pen vs Mouse

(Koba) #1

Hi

I’ve saved up some money for myself and I’m thinking about buying a pen tablet to replace my mouse. It looks to me like they are good for precision work without the frustration of a mouse. Is it worth it? Or just a gadget? What do you think?

Koba.

(youngbatcat) #2

for blender it is just a gadget not optimized for it.

(@ner) #3

I realy would like a pen tablet

(SamAdam) #4

Do you draw? it’s as simple as that. mice are good for precision, but if you want to post traditional style artwork on cgtalk, you will need a pen. Just go there and see how many use a pen to draw. If you only use blender, nah, no reason.

(Koba) #5

Hi.

I’m talking in general: are pen tablets useful? Used for handwriting recognition, Photoshop and 2D software, gesture recognition and CG programs (including Blender of course!).

Koba.

(z3r0 d) #6

they are not in general useful

they are a lot less precise in some respects, it can be difficult to click menus (and double click especially)

and they are only really useful for drawing and painting, where a mouse really lacks.

so, they are not useful for what most people do on a computer
they are not useful for modeling (in blender, maybe in zbrush?)
incredibly useful (pretty much required) for painting

(forTe) #7

Yes, using menus is a bear with a pen/tablet. Especially in photoshop when applying multiple filters, needing multiple menu clicks. Sliding sliders in programs isn’t particularly easy.

I haven’t tried it with blender, but I think that moving things around may be a little harder, especially if you learn blender with a mouse.

As most of the above postss said if you do a lot of painting (specifically painting and drawing, not using tons of filters like me) then It is invaluable, but for other use including blender I would say stick with old reliable.

(kencanvey) #8

I got one of these as a present Medion MD41217 usb graphics tablet, it was brought from ALDI for £30, it has a pressure sensetive pen with a programable button on the side, and a 3 button mouse, I have aslo found out that it is a AIPTEK Hyperpen board rebadged.

So if you want to give tablets a try its a bargain, do a search for Medion graphics tablet.

Ken

(Alltaken) #9

Yes, using menus is a bear with a pen/tablet. Especially in photoshop when applying multiple filters, needing multiple menu clicks. Sliding sliders in programs isn’t particularly easy.

I haven’t tried it with blender, but I think that moving things around may be a little harder, especially if you learn blender with a mouse.

As most of the above postss said if you do a lot of painting (specifically painting and drawing, not using tons of filters like me) then It is invaluable, but for other use including blender I would say stick with old reliable.

well for me i set the side button as “double click” and the second side button as “right click”

hence i have no issues with menus.

i have mine set up in such a way that its great for PS and its also nice for surfing the web.

but blender and a mouse (don’t mix)

Alltaken

(John DiLaur) #10

if you like to draw, which I’ve been doing all my life,the mouse can’t touch the tablet, but, I don’t even think of using my tablet in blender, even if it did work like it’s supposed to, for blender I feel the mouse is faster & more accurate.

(Alltaken) #11

mouse has three buttons, a pen does not and cannot have the same funcitonality as a mouse for blender (unless it was set up custom to be optimised for a pen, e.g. gestures are removed LOL, or added to)

Alltaken

(Koba) #12

well for me i set the side button as “double click” and the second side button as “right click”

Alltaken: This sounds good. What model do you have and how much was it?

Its a pity tablets don’t seem useful with Blender. Are there any opensource (GNU\GPL) 3D modellers that are good with pens?

I’m still thinking a tablet would be useful for gesture recognition and handwriting recognition. I have some programmable gesture recognition software that can be made to carry out just about anything instruction. If I set it up right, this could make going through menus a breeze.

As for Photoshop, it wouldn’t be used that much but still nice to have. I am looking at the less expensive pen tablets as now I get the impression that spending too much money would be a waste.

Koba.

(John DiLaur) #13

I used an aiptek [$150] W/ no real problems for about 2 yrs, I put alot of milage on that pen, I had to tape the top n’ bottom of the pen together from the second day I had it, maybe I grip alittle to tight, it seems to be a design flaw,I spoke to aiptek, they would send a new one if I sent them mine, i don’t think it would have helped…the pen got a little jumpy once in a while, grounding out the static charge would usually fix that…a few months ago it started skipping over a section about an inch high about 2" from the bottom of the screen,reloading program cured that untli recently, I tried downloading a new driver =no help…I bought myself a wacom [$450] a week ago…so far buttons are about the same,[not that good] mouse seems to act just as poorly as w/ the aiptek…pen is a little less clumsy but not much, some progams support the eraser tip, some don’t…let me repeat , if you like to draw, its the only way to go…hope this is helpful…johnd

(E-tek) #14

Buy the tablet, I did use it for more then 2 years while doing grafX as free lancer , at the begining it’s was hard to adjust, but at the end I throw away the mouse, I did blendering with it, end even play war craft III using it, I just think it’s more natural way of using computer pointers…

Eyal

edit:
I also used aiptek (cost in the U.S. 70$) , have no complains, but if you choose to have one just make sure you keep the replace part that come with it :-?

(Koba) #15

Hi

E-tek -

Thats why I’m thinking of buying the damn thing: as a concept a pen is better than a mouse. For a start, it must be quicker to use a pen than lug a mouse around a mouse mat. Also, as most of us pick up a pen/pencil from an early age, it should be more natural. I like the idea of the pen, this forum is to find out what they are like in practice. :smiley:

Koba.

(Eldron) #16

Well, anyone working with 3d should get a tablet, reason is, textures, one cant really produce full quality work without doing half of what is the image, the textures.

(traitor) #17

seconded

(youngbatcat) #18

heres the deal… for a 100$ you will get a finbe tool for painting. But the tool area is small. The only time that you will have full compleate freedom is when they make a bluetooth pen that can draw or ANYTHING and not be reliant of a tablet. THAT will be the ultamite artists pen. As then you will have compleate freedom to make your drawing area as big as you want it and still have pressure senssivtivaty.

:expressionless: :stuck_out_tongue: now if that can come along then all will be well. AND you will not have to shell out 700$ for a big fat solid tablet.

(Eldron) #19

The size of the tablet has never really been an issue for me, and I have the smallest.

and I draw like whole drawings with this tiny thing :slight_smile:

(celeriac) #20

I’d love to have a pen.