Pen vs Mouse

I have a wacom pen and a mouse. Since I got the Wacom pen my artwork has changed to another level. I only use the pen in Blender when weight or vertex painting.

A pen isn’t that suitable for Blender, but for textures, post process and other artwork it is better than I think you think. I use the pen while on the net, and browsing my harddrive in Windows or MacOS X too.

I truly couldn’t live without it. I operate Photoshop twice as fast is with 10 times the resulting quality.

It’s not a question of mouse vs. pen, it is a question of mouse and pen vs. just a mouse, and here the first option wins every time. Trust me. Get a pen.

Hi

I’m quite certain I will get a pen at this point. I’m now wondering how much I need to pay for something decent. Something with at least two programmable buttons would be good. Anyone any suggestions? Wacom seems to be the best company but at a price. I’m not too keen on buying an extra mouse either (the one I have already is prefectly servicable).

Koba.

Wacom 100$ Graphire. That is your cheapest bet for quality. And the intuo pro brand from wacom is 200$ but even better.

So get a graphire or an intuo. Nothing else.

Go for Wacom or you might regret it. They aren’t THAT expensive.

I use Blender with a pen occasionally and use the gestures draw an ‘S’ to size ,‘O’ to rotate and ‘I’ to grab. I’m sure theres more gnomis

I think the mouse is terribly underrated because people are just lazy to gain skills in handling it. When I started I was scared with the results, but then I though it took me years of using the pen to make the drawings look properly, but still if I’d try painting with the left hand, it would be awful, the same for mouse. So my technique rapidly improved after the months of playing Quake and Flashpoint :stuck_out_tongue:

well, I’ve been using the mouse at extremes for a long time, yet cant draw properly with it, the wacom took me a few days to get used to. lazy? :wink:

Dunno, I can’t draw with pen now http://www.vhlinks.com/forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

Actually it’s a question of pen vs. 100$ (if buying cheapest and smallest wacom)
And as of now I would rather put them 100$ into making my vomputer silent. Or a third of buying a synth. Or a half of a graphics card. But then, I don’t draw much. I’m quite bad at it. So my need of a pen is rather small(though I wouldn’t say no to one). But if I were drawing much I would for sure get a pen.
And if I had a real income I probably would buy one.

[edit]

it’s not about the accuracy, its mainly about the pressure-sensitivity, and the natural way you can draw. you cannot do that with a mouse, its made for other things.

but the pen is slippery! If it had some more traction to it it might help.

Yes, but you can use different colors/brush size/strength to compensate that. I can agree on black’n’white sketches, but my vote goes for mouse for color works.

though Im talking advanced professional art here, I’ve yet to see an artist do traditional digital art with a mouse :wink:

i think pen tablet its one thing, one choice in more
why close blender and doesn’t open for more graphic use npr , gimp , etc
tablet is made for this :-?

What I would really like is the Cintiq LCD Monitor/Tablet which you can see on wacom.com. As soon as I have that much money to spare, that is. :wink:

Hi

A Cintiq LCD monitor/tablet? What could be better? Other than it being in my price range? :expressionless:

I’m thinking of getting a Graphire 3 Studio tablet from Wacom. The price is a little steep but I think it is worth it (and it doesn’t include a mouse I don’t want). Anything I spend on a tablet will come off what I can spend on a new laptop for University. Anyone know anything about this tablet?

Thanks

Koba.

Have you missed my posts in traditional :smiley: ?

http://www.freepgs.com/lightstorm/resources/image0013.jpg
http://www.freepgs.com/lightstorm/resources/image0014.jpg

And I could do the way better now. Not to sound like a self-satisfied bastard, but that was done with a mouse w/out a blur. I hate blur, too artificial.

so, how many days did you work on those drawings there? :wink:

btw, one does not use this thing called blur when drawing, one simply just draws it at an extremely high resolution.

One week on each, approximately. This http://www.freepgs.com/mishar/Rogill_gallery_version took 8 days :slight_smile:

btw, 100% agreed on the high resolution thing.