PermissionError since upgrading to Blender 2.82

Good afternoon,
I recently updated Blender to the current version 2.82. For some reason I cannot load my addon since this update. I am using VSC with the Blender Development kit 0.0.12 and when trying to “build and start” my addon, I get this:

PermissionError: [WinError 5] Access is denied: '<path to the script folder in %appdata%>'

Any idea how to proceed?

Even if you don’t know how to resolve my problem, maybe you can share an idea how I can figure out what to look for? To me, lots of things around addon programming are still quite mystical, so I’d appreciate your input! :slight_smile:

I think I figured it out - at least partially.

Under Windows, the addons for Blender are located under %appdata%\Blender Foundation\Blender<version number>\scripts\addons
I noticed that if I create a new addon from within VStudio, the folder containing the scripts has a little “shortcut-folder” icon, instead of a regular “folder” icon. The addon I was having trouble with, however, had a “normal” icon. So, I deleted that folder, rebuild the addon from within Vstudio and now it’s working.

It would be cool if someone has an explanation for this, because I’m drawing a blank. But otherwise it looks like this case is closed for me :slight_smile:

1 Like

I gave that a shot, but no luck here! I’ll search around and see if anyone else has run into this.

Edit: Solved by running VS Code as an admin: https://stackoverflow.com/questions/37700536/visual-studio-code-terminal-how-to-run-a-command-with-administrator-rights

1 Like