Personal Texture Libraries - File Formats/Res.?

Hey everyone,

I have recently got my Linux distro to a point where I think its stable enough to start working with Blender again without fear of everything messing up on me, so I was wondering if you could give me some advice.

I used to be heavily into photography, and have loads of cool images that I would like to use/base textures or reference pictures on, so I have decided to scan them all into my computer and categorise them nicely so I have some personal resources to play with.

My problem is, I’m not sure what file formats, resolutions or bit-depths etc I should store them as so that I don’t have to redo them all at a later point because I didn’t store them correctly. Examples:

• They are good enough quality to use in very nice renders eventually, with no loss.
  • They won’t take up my entire 120GB HDD. :smiley:
  • In a format that is the most flexible for working with Blender & GIMPI’m tempted to save them all as high quality as I can, but hopefully all you out there with more experience can show me the light. :wink:

Well, this really is a matter of quality vs. space. Jpeg is best for space. However if you want to be absolutly sure it will work with all your HD renders and look crisp then save them as bitmaps and get a bigger HD.
Note: For a cg artist that is a super small HD.